"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1, F2, and F4, what's the difference.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 04, 2009, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

You need an F3 with a switch in the handset.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 24, 2010, 01:31:55 PM
Since we're talking about the F series handsets today, I noticed when taking photos for the other thread.......

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2395.msg31963#msg31963

.........something strange about the stamping on the handle.  I noticed that on the F1, while holding the handset so the receiver is on the right, that the Western Electric Logo was right-side up.  So was the F4.  But on the F1W the logo was upside-down when the receiver was on the right.  I thought there might be a pattern.

But then I look around the other F1's that I have and there is no consistency.  Not knowing what the equipment was like that produced these handsets,  perhaps the mold that made the bottom half of the two-piece handset was small enough that the operator could place it in either direction during production??  It seems strange they are not all alike.

Dennis,
Remco has a F handset molding article on his site. I originally scanned the article because of a grooving question on the listservers.

I would say that the molds were engraved differently, I don't know if they had a reason for reversing the lettering.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Having worked in injection molding for a time at GM, The "Details", or variable markings on molded items are interchangeable with other designs. The parent cavity, is standard for all handsets, but The F1, F1W, etc inserts are swapped out to save cost on having multiply molds for the same design. They usually can be put in upside down, but USUALLY the S.O.P. order specifies which way they are to be installed. This would seem to be standard for most manufacturers, I don't know why W.E. wouldn't follow that same procedure. It almost seems like they didn't have a S.O..P place for the logo's.
Which seems odd.
We even had a specific was the + and - insignias was to be installed on the battery tops, which wouldn't matter either way.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

I wonder if the W handsets are consistant in they orientation of their markings?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.