News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help restoring my estate sale 2 boxer

Started by Kjmcmurdo, November 04, 2017, 04:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjmcmurdo

Any advice on clean up of the two boxer? 

And, the MAGNETO is stuck.  I've lubed it with de-rusting Rust o leum lube.  Still stuck.

Sargeguy

Yikes!  Looks like it has seen some moisture.  Start by cleaning it with soap and water.  The magneto crank looks bent, it could be that the shaft is also bent.  The hook is also at a weird angle and looks more like a hook from a 293.  The phone had a dial added and it is possible the hook and switch were replaced with a later type of hook.  Once you clean it up you should post some more pics.  We can better assess the condition and how best to proceed. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kjmcmurdo

I did like you said and cleaned it with soap and water.  Looks pretty good.  What should I do with the mouth piece ARM?  I don't know what it is called, sorry.  I included the patent stamps and a few other photos.  I am very open to suggestions. 
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

TelePlay

Nice job on the wood.

Seems whatever water got to the outside also gunked up the magneto and hook switch pile up.

Did you get the transmitter apart (4 small screws around the edge) to see if it is also gunked up?

RB

Wow! nice lookin boxes, not so nice transmitter arm...
may be best to strip and re paint that part.
others may have better suggestions.

Sargeguy

The #5 arm looks like it will need to be re-painted.  There is a section on re-painting candlestick phones that should help.

The transmitter looks like a 7-digit, which are very desirable and carry a premium. Clean the nickel parts with a 1:1 baking soda:water mixture and a paper towel. 

The original hook has been replaced, probably when the dial was added. 

The wiring has been updated.  Originally the the wires would have run from the binding posts on the top box to the ones on the transmitter.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

You may want to seek out a replacement magneto.  They are fairly easy to find and usually cheap.  The No. 5 arm can be expensive, you are probably better off repainting it.  The hook is fairly difficult to find.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kjmcmurdo

I agree.  The ARM is too far gone, so I will repaint.  High gloss or satin finish?  I'm thinking satin.

I just took apart a 5 Bar Magneto on a Stromberg Carlson and fixed it.  So, I am going to try fixing this one.  Fingers crossed.

I am having a hard time with the dial.  It was locked.  I was thinking of starting a post for help, but I'm not sure how to identify the dial.  Maybe you will know. 

Sargeguy

It is a Western Electric #6 dial dating from 1975.  How big of a hole did they cut for the dial?  You might just want to chuck the dial if you plan to restore it ot something close to original condition.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kjmcmurdo

You've read my mind.  I was thinking of putting the dial inside the box since its already wired.  But, that would not be original.  What would be in the box, batteries?

RB

yup, 2 or 3 big 1.5 volt cells :)
original, did not include a dial anyway...unless i am mistaken??? it has happened before.
Most use 2 D cells for power, leaves plenty of room in the box for a dial too ;)

Kjmcmurdo

That's what I'll do.  I really appreciate you taking your time to help me on this.  I will post when I make changes.
Much appreciated
Ken

Sargeguy

This phone would originally have had a wet cell battery.  It pre-dates the introduction of dry cell batteries
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

ok, new wrinkle in the brain :)
had not known that one.
what did a wet cell look like?

Kjmcmurdo