News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. Model 50 Tan Jukebox Wall Phone

Started by Doug Rose, December 28, 2018, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Is this painted? Looks black around rim in back. New matching handset cord??....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-E-Model-50-Tan-Jukebox-Wall-Phone/392201932171?hash=item5b510e8d8b:g:oT4AAOSw6EpcJO18
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I do not believe that this was painted.  It looks like the beige AE50s removed from Navy ships that Steve Hilsz was selling a while back.  You might be seeing the black shadow on the chair wall in the last picture which was a result of the way the lighting was arranged.

Larry

HarrySmith

I agree, looks like one of the ship's phones Steve had. Looking at the back is what makes me think it looks real.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 28, 2018, 09:25:06 AM
I do not believe that this was painted.

I agree.

This blown up image of the top back shows the inside to be the same color.

Doug Rose

This is mine, same color as the back of the auction phone. The front of the auction phone is much darker. What is the black rim on the top on back. If the front fits the back, you should not be able to see inside the phone from the back...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

That's a good question. I am not sure what is going on with that black line or the opening??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

To my eye, I don't think the photo from the rear shows the inside at all, it looks to me like we are looking along the outer top, the pipes (or whatever they are) are reflected on the outer casing (and look distorted). The black looks to me like a shadow - a slight dark area of phone shadow shown between the phone and the wall.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

The black line is a flash shadow. All of his images were taken with flash, and low, grainy resolution.

Looking at all the photos, I would say he used light sources from each side and then used the camera flash to fill in causing the shadows. Very strange photographic technique, but, hey, it's eBay.

As to why the back shows a gap (if it is a gap indeed), maybe the seller if asked can add a note to his listing as to what is going on to make the back look loose or out of place.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: FABphones on December 28, 2018, 12:47:16 PM
To my eye, I don't think the photo from the rear shows the inside at all, it looks to me like we are looking along the outer top, the pipes (or whatever they are) are reflected on the outer casing (and look distorted). The black looks to me like a shadow - a slight dark area of phone shadow shown between the phone and the wall.

I agree. If the camera lens was above the top of the housing, the housing would then be showing reflections of the chair rungs, a similar color shadow by accident would have been cast by the two side light sources and then the flash which may have been below the rim, the camera turned 90 degrees to portrait with the camera on the bottom of the phone when the image was taken, would produce the black "ring."

The housing has the thinner flat ridge and then the slightly lower down housing that surrounds the dial. A lot going on in that image which could have been helped by not using a chair next to the wall as the composition table. A white sheet over the chair would have helped a lot. Rule #1 in photography is simplify the background to prevent confusion.

Doug Rose

Why is the front so much darker than the back? 

Why is the front so much darker than my phone?

Inside of handset looks darker as well. It must be a different color than the Navy Beige I have seen in the past.  I also have a black with the handset locks.

Very nice phone and the handset cord matches the darker color....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

My first thought when I spotted it yesterday was that it spent a lot of time with a smoker. The front appears to be badly discolored in my opinion. The photography is horrendous. You would think someone who has sold over 2,000 items on eBay would have figured out how to take a decent picture! I used to sell a lot of non phone related stuff on eBay, a lot of times there would be other people selling the exact same item as mine. They had bad pictures or maybe only 1 picture and had a lower price than my item. I put as many pictures as I can and add a detailed description to every item. Mine sold and the other did not. The presentation is most important in my book!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

The phone looks good but someone made replacement retaining springs . Here is the pic of original spring.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stub on December 28, 2018, 07:00:17 PM
The phone looks good but someone added the retaining springs . Here is the pic of original spring.  stub
Can the springs be added to any AE50, or is the case different on the ship phones to allow for the springs?
Just curious,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stub

Jim ,
      Slots are cut in the phone base where the handset rests in the cradle and springs are riveted in at factory . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield