News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red metal phone, what is it?

Started by Greg G., October 12, 2010, 03:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Looks like a painted AE 40?  But I didn't know they had a metal version.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I didn't know they made them from metal either.  Are you sure it is metal, or is it a seller that says so?

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 12, 2010, 11:13:56 AM
I didn't know they made them from metal either.  Are you sure it is metal, or is it a seller that says so?

The seller says it's metal.  I asked them to clarify, haven't heard back yet.  The only AE 40 I have doesn't have that number-only dial either.  Looks like there may even be silver bands underneath that paint. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The seller might be assuming it's metal because of its weight.  Since the chipped paint is revealing black, I'd guarantee it's bakelite.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Agreed....AE 40s were on made in black bakelite and colored tenite, never metal.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 12, 2010, 04:40:25 PM
The seller might be assuming it's metal because of its weight.  Since the chipped paint is revealing black, I'd guarantee it's bakelite.

In that case, I'll pass on this one.  Price is too high, too much work to get all that ugly paint off, missing some dial center parts, it's way across the country, and I promised my 202 I would start working on it next.  If it were some sort of rare all-metal AE 40, I may have considered it.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/atq/1969978474.html ( dead link 03-07-21 )
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

If you have patience, you will get a good one for $20 or less.  I bought my last one on ebay for $10 or $11.  They are too plentiful to go for much.

Larry

Greg G.

Actually, I already have an AE 40, but that never stops me from getting another one.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

The handset might be metal.

ISTR  a metal handset for the AE34. I think for ship use.
I could be wrong about this.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 12, 2010, 09:46:22 PM

ISTR  a metal handset for the AE34. I think for ship use.
Jim

I just heard back from the seller, she claims it's all metal.  Probably just the handset if what you say is correct.

And what's with that numbers-only dial?
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on October 13, 2010, 12:58:30 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on October 12, 2010, 09:46:22 PM

ISTR  a metal handset for the AE34. I think for ship use.
Jim

I just heard back from the seller, she claims it's all metal.  Probably just the handset if what you say is correct.

And what's with that numbers-only dial?

Ask Steve Hilzs, He knows a lot about ship phones.
Jim

#'s only is probably a rural plate. I would think, almost all, ship phones would be (non dial) intercoms
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Jim - Your "first phone find" in your avatar reminded me of this Red Green clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYOu2oKZJ0
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

oh dear god how did my unkle get on You tube? ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on October 13, 2010, 01:23:47 AM
Jim - Your "first phone find" in your avatar reminded me of this Red Green clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYOu2oKZJ0

I bet I could build one of those cordless phones.

I even have a second Cone

This one is Mountain States telephone. I was 8 when I found it.
The other is Pacific Telephone. It was part of the $8,000 collection.
Jim

Jim
You live, You learn,

LarryInMichigan

If anyone is interested in severely overpaying for an AE40, here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Antique-Bakelite-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Phone-/290484775341.  What is with some people?

Larry