News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow(?) AE80

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 03, 2011, 04:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallphone

Nice find Larry, Mellow Yellow. ;) A few days ago in a different posting Stub said that he he doesn't have a problem getting frequency ringers to work. I didn't read where anyone asked him how he does it so I will. Stub can you share with us the trick you do to get the frequency ringers to work? Is that for only AE ringers? Thanks,
Doug Pav

stub

Wallphone ,
                 Some will work , to a certain degree, by loosening the screws on the reed that holds the clapper arm till you have enough movement to strike the bells. Then you put one drop of super glue on the screw ends, to keep them in place. Done, but--------without a bias spring, you know you will have bell tingle when you go off hook or dial from another phone. Some of the time you can adjust it. It's not a good solid ring but it beats nothing at all . At my house I do this when the WIFE is at work! ;D
                                                                                                                                          stub  

Kenneth Stubblefield

Wallphone

Thanks for the tip Stub. I'll have to tear into to one and see what happens. I know that a lot of the old frequency ringers are riveted so there's not much you can do. I was gonna try taking one of those and grind a slot in the reed to see if I could make it weaker. I don't know how you can bias it though. And I don't want to hear from the purist out there about grinding on one. To me, they are worthless if they can't do their job. >:(
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on October 07, 2011, 06:14:51 PM
At my house I do this when the WIFE is at work! ;D
                                                                                                                                          stub  

When the wife is at work and Stub is at play....

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on October 07, 2011, 07:32:27 PM
To me, they are worthless if they can't do their job. >:(
Doug Pav

They are AE' so they will do their job longer than you and I will. It is the Telco not doing their job sending 20~ down the phone line when the ringer needs 33 1/3~.

Just pulling your mounting cord of course.....

Terry