News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

McHeath on Wikipedia about the WE500

Started by HobieSport, May 06, 2010, 03:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I noticed this last year, that it seems that our very own McHeath has been contributing to the Wikipedia article on the model 500, 554, 1500 and 2500.  I suspected as much, since the Cortelco 500s were also mentioned, but today, looking at the article again, I immediately recognized the photo of McHeath's black 554 hanging on his wall. I couldn't help but recognize the lovely honey-birch paneling, as well as the photo of what it looks to me like Heath's aqua WE 1500, on which he spent three days of sanding as I recall, bringing out the original color and in the process, removing the fingerprints from his fingers, as I suspect, so that he can now abscond with all the WE1500s in the world, without leaving traceable evidence... ;)

I also remember reading somewhere, that someone was remarking about how "some phone geek" was writing on Wikipedia about the 500. That made me laugh!

Anyway, thanks McHeath (and any other Wikipedia contributors) for any good input/authoring on Wikipedia about the various phones that we love.

Just do me one favor, and insert in the article that "All WE model 500's, pre-1952, are considered inferior and unreliable, thus considered by knowledgeable phone collectors as absolutely worthless, and can be sent to me personally for the cost of shipping and a ten dollar appreciation fee so that I "can make lovely lamps out of them".

Heh. I can already hear Dan/Panther saying... "Nice try, Matt".  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_500_telephone
-Matt

Kenny C

that handset looks like it  has  the sharpend edges like D/p was looking for dos'nt it
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jsowers

The cut line under the 554 in Wikipedia identifies it as a Western Electric. Is that correct? I thought this particular phone was a 1959 Northern Electric, made in Canada. The black switchhook gave it away, and I think McHeath has mentioned it on one occasion. Please correct me if I'm wrong--just going by memory. If I'm right, someone needs to correct Wikipedia.

In the third paragraph about the 500, Dreyfuss is spelled wrong. Other than that, I think it's an excellent article. Thanks for pointing it out.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 06, 2010, 04:23:17 PM
that handset looks like it  has  the sharpend edges like D/p was looking for dos'nt it

To me, it looks like a standard G handset, but I cannot tell if it is a G-1 or a G-3 without downloading and enlarging the picture.  What sharpened edges are you referring to?  The grooves in the G-1??

-Bill G

Kenny C

the transmiter and receiver buldges edges are more sharpened thana usual G1. It looks like it to me but it may just be the light
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Craig T

That was a good read Heath, thanks for pointing that one out Matt  :)

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 06, 2010, 06:37:30 PM
the transmiter and receiver buldges edges are more sharpened thana usual G1. It looks like it to me but it may just be the light

Are we talking about a WE G handset or someone else's?
-Bill G

Kenny C

the one on the 554 above it has more sharpened edges don't you think
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 06, 2010, 07:44:15 PM
the one on the 554 above it has more sharpened edges don't you think

Boy, I sure don't see anything but a standard G handset on it.
-Bill G

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I can see what you are talking about Kenny.
I think it is just the reflection.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

I was going to say that there is a lot of reflected light in that photo.  But, I have also been told that I don't have much of an imagination either.  So, it could very well have been just my eyeballs being stubborn on me too.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Tell your Wife to cut you some slack.... :o :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Ha, ha.  She'd say I need therapy more than slack.   ::)
-Bill G

foots

Quote from: jsowers on May 06, 2010, 04:51:22 PM
The cut line under the 554 in Wikipedia identifies it as a Western Electric. Is that correct? I thought this particular phone was a 1959 Northern Electric, made in Canada. The black switchhook gave it away, and I think McHeath has mentioned it on one occasion. Please correct me if I'm wrong--just going by memory. If I'm right, someone needs to correct Wikipedia.

In the third paragraph about the 500, Dreyfuss is spelled wrong. Other than that, I think it's an excellent article. Thanks for pointing it out.

I seem to recall McHeath mentioning that the very early 554s had black hooks, then satin, then the chrome hooks.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"