News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Grey 1956 Western Electric 302 Rotary Phone

Started by Doug Rose, May 24, 2013, 05:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Seller states it is rare. Its a Northern Electric.

Sure looks painted to me

http://tinyurl.com/opucy9r
Kidphone

zaphod01

It was a shame. I got all the way down to the photo showing the bottom and it looks painted to me, too.

There was a dial blank 302 out there this week that said 'should work'. There was no ringer, network, or capacitor in it. Now I'm relatively new at this but I can't imagine how this would 'work'.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

And, if it really is grey, then somebody very nicely painted the inside of the shell black.

dsk

Rokumoncat

Ahhhh....

E-bay sellers.

Had one tell me that a 12 button Touch Tone with full RJ was "rare and valuable".

'nuff said.

R. Cat

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Phonesrfun

DSK:

In the early 1970's when I was in the military (US) and working on radios, that color of gray was used everywhere.  Oficially, the color was known as Dove Gray Enamel.

I have no idea who made it, or if it is even avalable these days.  At the time, I think we only had three colors of spray cans in the paint cabinets in my unit.  Black, Olive Drab, and Dove Gray.

What lovely choices.  Oh yes, there was a desert sand color too.  The things one remembers.
-Bill G

zaphod01

U.S. Army Signal Corps from '69 to '71. Everything was green or gray. I enjoyed the fact that our insignia was bright orange.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

First, Dove Grey is still out there by several paint makers including Rustoleum in rattle cans. Google will give many sources for $6-9.00 per can.

-----------------------------

Now, here's newly listed a pearl white 302 that has not been painted. From the seller: "You are looking at a nice vintage pearl white 1948 Western Electric 302 Rotary Phone. I bought this from another collector selling some of his inventory. He told me is was not painted, but was a type of coating that is use for vintage phones. Looks amazing. Beautiful pearl white body." Polane?

Safe to say it was black before the special factory "coating" was applied that turned it pearl white. Anyway, it's a nice looking non-standard phone that should sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161034547817

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 26, 2013, 09:37:31 PM
Same seller on both phones . . .

I didn't think to check. It is the same seller, and it seems he will paint any phone any color, except it's now not paint, it's factory (long since shut down factory) covering stuff . . .

We may need a new subject thread under General Discussion called "Painted Phone Atrocities!" if this keeps up.  :'(

Rokumoncat

I do not mind e-bay sellers, but I do expect them to be honest. There have been times that I have wanted to buy what was a piece of junk for a part or whatever. I knew what it was and was happy. What does irritate me though is when the seller tries to con me into thinking that said piece of junk is something special.

This is why I never sell on e-bay. If I have something that someone else really wants, I generally give it to them and ask them to pay it forward, or we trade for something that I might want. That way, everybody is happy.

Best,

R. Cat

TelePlay

The 1956 grey 302 sold for $46 with 14 bids.

With one day to go in the auction, the pearl white 302 is up to $56.00 with 11 bids.

Reinforcement of this coating practice is not good . . .  :-\