and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 18, 2012, 05:19:33 PM
Maureen;
I assume your Dad has passed, may I extend my condolences.
D/P
Thanks Dan. He died a few months back of lung cancer (never smoked). He was a Korean War Vet and he will always be my hero. He was full of surprises and after his passing they still keep coming!
I appreciate your thoughts,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 08:23:36 PM
Thanks Dan. He died a few months back of lung cancer (never smoked). He was a Korean War Vet and he will always be my hero. He was full of surprises and after his passing they still keep coming!
I appreciate your thoughts,
Maureen
You will be amazed how much his collection of items will bring in the end. I am sure you were a bit overwhelmed when you started to look at it, but you will be amazed how much it will bring. And, thank goodness he loved his work to the extent he saved so many good items.  All too often, items such as these are discarded by family, not realizing their value.  Be thankful he had the foresight to save it.

He sounds as though he was a wonderful man, and what a shame he is gone.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on November 18, 2012, 08:19:57 PM
... That and lashing wire.

Ok, I have heard that term as well but spinning wire is "the name" for it here. For everyone else, as Dave said for lashing cable to messenger between poles. It goes into a "spinner" that is hauled along by a truck spinning this good quality stainless steel wire around the cable and messenger. Not really worth much at all, unlike the solder!

Maureen: From the picture and your "it's heavy" comment my guess would be a power supply. Does it have an AC cord coming out of it?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 08:59:00 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on November 18, 2012, 08:19:57 PM
... That and lashing wire.

Ok, I have heard that term as well but spinning wire is "the name" for it here. For everyone else, as Dave said for lashing cable to messenger between poles. It goes into a "spinner" that is hauled along by a truck spinning this good quality stainless steel wire around the cable and messenger. Not really worth much at all, unlike the solder!

Terry
Nope, but if he also happened to have a lashing machine, then you get up into big money if it is in good shape. I am pretty sure that is something I will never be able to afford to have in the museum :-)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I know the real old ones are worth a lot, like Neale Spinners. Are they all quite expensive?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 09:10:16 PM
I know the real old ones are worth a lot, like Neale Spinners. Are they all quite expensive?

Terry
Yep! New ones running for $2000 plus.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Well you need an experienced one off ebaY that no one else knows what it is for $19.95.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 09:15:35 PM
Well you need an experienced one off ebaY that no one else knows what it is for $19.95.

Terry
PM me if you see one which meets the criteria  ;)!

Dave

10-4! ..... Terry
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I can certainly say that your father has left quite the legacy for you, selling off the spares alone would keep a regular income, and the rare and collectable items would definitely keep you with a financial legacy for sure, whether he had that intent or not, he certainly chose the right stuff to keep a hold of for future generations... :)

AE_Collector

Well not to rain on the parade but the majority of it will be a lot of tedious work to sell on ebaY. I used to sell a bit and it is a lot of work. If Maureen has the time and inclination to work at selling it all she has the material to create an income while slowly moving the stuff out. Fortunately there are some items that should bring a fairly good return to help offset the items that bring a dollar or two each like screw drivers and pliers.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quite the interest in this topic! 24 hours after your first post here ad we have almost 6 full pages of posts. Probably close to some sort of record here on the CRPF! Brinybay's been arrested for trying to steal a Seattle Bus and drive it across State lines....

Terry

baldopeacock

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 07:12:54 PM
Hi Again,
I found many boxes with parts in it and one box with about 100 cords in it. Old and new all different colors. Very cool. Take a look.
Maureen

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a treasure trove of early color 500 gray cords.   

More gold in your dad's stash than Fort Knox.

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 01:07:34 AM
Brinybay's been arrested for trying to steal a Seattle Bus and drive it across State lines....

Terry
Poor Briny - Bus-ted! What do they call that - interstate trafficking? ::)
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

I would have a problem if that stash was mine.-  I would never be able to part with any of it!!!! ::)
Howard
Howard

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on November 19, 2012, 12:02:24 PM
Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 01:07:34 AM
Brinybay's been arrested for trying to steal a Seattle Bus and drive it across State lines....

Terry
Poor Briny - Bus-ted! What do they call that - interstate trafficking? ::)

Hahaha!  Nope, I'm sitting here on my day off looking at the deluge, sipping coffee and catching up with phone projects.  I'm not venturing out in this weather for anything!

I second Doug's suggestion, start with the Picture Phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e