News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new Danish phone

Started by Phonesrfun, November 22, 2010, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

My new antique store find from Portland, OR.  I am in Portland for a week.

Interesting spring-loaded number plate underneath the finger wheel holes.  It is spring loaded, making it flush with the holes while not in use.  When you put your finger in a hole, the finger presses the number plate inward as you dial.

-Bill G

bushman

Hey!! What are you doing in my territory!!   Just kidding.  Nice find!

Bushman

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bushman on November 22, 2010, 10:33:18 PM
Hey!! What are you doing in my territory!!   Just kidding.  Nice find!

Bushman

I told the folks in the antique store I had to have one just like Bushman's. 

Actually, of all the phones I have, this is only my 2nd European phone.  It is immaculate inside, and is very interesting how it is wired, with the hookswitch and dial in the upper part of the housing, and the rest in the base.  Interesting and detailed how they curved the wires before soldering them down and all the internal lacing they did with the waxed twine to make little miniature harnesses out of the wires.  You NEVER see that workmanship in a US telephone.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

OOPS, by territory, you were being literal!  :)

I grew up here so it is my territory too...  Ha ha
-Bill G

bushman

All right!! I let it slide this time.    ;)   But only for a fellow hometowner. ;D

Bushman

AE_Collector

Bill:

Be carefull dialing 2L-5N numbers with that thing! I'm predicting some wrong numbers.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ae_collector on November 22, 2010, 11:20:18 PM
Bill:

Be carefull dialing 2L-5N numbers with that thing! I'm predicting some wrong numbers.

Terry

I saw the Hitchckock "Dial M for Murder"  the other night.  I could see if I get a wrong number with that one!

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 22, 2010, 11:23:43 PM
I saw the Hitchckock "Dial M for Murder"  the other night.  I could see if I get a wrong number with that one!

A $15.95 Pay per View movie in the Hotel room undoubtably!

Terry

Russ Kirk

That's a great find.  I like some of these unusual items.

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

mienaichizu

maybe an early version of touch tone dial, haha..

Phonesrfun

Quote from: mienaichizu on November 23, 2010, 10:49:22 PM
maybe an early version of touch tone dial, haha..

Touch, but without the tone  :)

-Bill G

teka-bb

This Danish 1930 metal phone (type: D-30) was made by Telefon Fabrik Automatic in Copenhagen, Denmark with a painted aluminium cradle and was used by Københavns Telefon Aktieselskab.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Phonesrfun

Remco:

I have searched for a schematic on the TCI website, but no luck.  Is there one available?
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Good luck! When I had three of thier phones to repair I could not find schematics anywhere! Plus out of four phones, all the same models, there were two different internals and wiring. They were pretty simple so I was able to trace them out easily. I too was impressed at the way the wiring was done, very neat. For the connections inside the handset the copper wire was braided into a loop and then  wrapped with the cotton insulation. Must have take a very long time to wire one phone! I had to replace a cord and could not fit the braided loops through the holes so I had to cut them off! I never did learn how to braid so I ended up just wrapping the wire around the screws for reinstallation;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Harry:

Yes, very intricate.  Surprising, but oh so Danish, in the sense that I think of orderly sorts of things.

I guess I am just being more curious than anything else.  The circuit is probably the same antisidetone circuit that most European phones were using at the time.  Nothing complex, and there is nothing wrong with my phone.  I just want one for the file, so to speak.
-Bill G