News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finlover's latest, red 554

Started by McHeath, October 06, 2009, 08:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I was just prowling the E-Bay phones and came across this beauty, I knew at once who was the master behind it.

http://tinyurl.com/ydsq3oh ( dead link 08-04-21 )

It's like a lure, that red, bet it fetches a pretty penny.

bingster

I saw that, too, and found it most drool-worthy.  Such a great color.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

how do i show a wolf whistle on here :D

sweet!
donna

Ellen

That's my year; at the moment, my price ($59); and my color.  Too bad I am broke!

finlover

Thank you, lady and gentlemen!  This is a case of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  With the '70s refurb it's not really worth much to a collector, but it's red and shiny so it should make someone happy.  I got this 554 in a package deal along with a nicer yellow one and the handset had bleached to a yucky beige.  First red phone I've seen like that--usually red just darkens a little.  I toyed with the idea of sticking an open fingerwheel on it but figured that the person that buys this one won't be too concerned with period correctness, so I opted not to waste one.  Wouldn't it be nice if someone started reproducing those soft center wheels?  A buyer from Spain emailed me about it, so who knows, it could be going abroad!  Or it could just sit there at 59 bucks--we'll hide and watch! ;)

Dan/Panther

I'd go for it myself, except I'm not really into wall phones.
Great looking phone Fin, good luck.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Thanks, D/P!

Wall phones don't seem to generate the kind of interest (or money) that desk phones do, I just sell one every now and then for a little variety.

finlover

It went for $122.50, which is fine considering the '70s components.  It stayed at $59 right up 'til the end.  I was getting worried there for awhile. 

For the curious, I had $25 in it.  But, when you consider the restoration time, the profit isn't all that great.  Luckily, bringing these old phones back to life is a labor of love! ::)

McHeath

Great price!  Congrads. 

Now if I was restoring it I'd have $122 in the phone and get $25 for it.  I have a knack for losing money.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: finlover on October 11, 2009, 11:44:04 PM
It went for $122.50, which is fine considering the '70s components.  It stayed at $59 right up 'til the end.  I was getting worried there for awhile. 

For the curious, I had $25 in it.  But, when you consider the restoration time, the profit isn't all that great.  Luckily, bringing these old phones back to life is a labor of love! ::)

Greg;
If I was pulling in the kinda cash on phones that you do, I'd LOVE it to. :o :o :o ;D :D
D/P

gpo706

Gosh thats so dreamy, like a companion piece to my lovely red 500
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

finlover

Thanks, D/P!  if it had had original plastic I might have kept it for myself.  There's something cool about a red wall phone!  Few people know that Bruce Wayne had one in his kitchen. ;D

Dan/Panther

I have a bright Red Stromberg Carlson in my kitchen, there I said it....
D/P

Dan/Panther

Notice the Red SC is hidden around the corner out of site of the W.E. Oak phone.
D/P