News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning/restoring my 500

Started by Greg G., February 23, 2009, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Moving this from the intro since I've already introduced myself.

This has to do with the 500 I'm using as a first project phone (see pics in intro section)

First question is regarding the plastic finger wheel.  I use distilled white vinegar to clean artifacts (mostly bottles) I find while scuba diving, it does a good (but safe) job of softening up even the toughest sea growth.  So I figured it would be ok to use on the finger wheel to remove some of the yellowing.  An overnight bath didn't help, so the yellowing must be permanent and not just grime.  Question is, should I just use it as is, or is there something else I should try?  Or should I just replace it?  If the last option, where does one find these things?  Here's the pics:

Second question is regarding the cord.  When I went to remove it to clean it, I found several bad spots on it and decided to hold off on that.  Same question as last time, should I just wrap the bad spots with beige colored electrical tape (does it come in colors other than black?) or replace it?  Again, if the latter choice, where would I find a hard-wired cord?  Thanks for your help!

Greg

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Steve

Phoneco may have the cord you need...

www.phonecoinc.com

Novus plastic polish is what I think most of us are using to clean plastic with. Novus2 is good for removing light scratches and getting a good shine, Novus1 is good for keeping them shiny.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dennis Markham

Here is a link for a new finger wheel.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?rpage=search&category=Jack#01037

Scroll down to part #WEFW (Western Electric Finger Wheel).  The shipping probably costs more than the wheel itself.

I looked on Phoneco's site and don't see any hardwired cords.  Oldphoneworks has them but I don't see beige.  You might give them a call.  I will look through my stuff and see if I might have a cord in beige.

If you buy Novus2, I recommend eBay.  Since wherever you get it you have to pay shipping, you can find an 8oz bottle for about $4 - $5 plus shipping.  This seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370038269181

has it for $4.95 but his shipping is over $8 so just look around.  An 8oz bottle will last you a long time.  I buy it in half gallon bottles and even that lasted me two years. 

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
If you want to start cleaning the case, cord, and Handset, just take them apart, and wash them in warm water and dish soap. Then rinse in clear water and dry.
Then go onto the polishing as needed.
You will be surprised at how clean just plain soap and water can get a phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Just don't put the handset elements in the water!

McHeath

I throw nasty cords like that in the dishwasher, opened up a bit so that the inside gets clean as well.  Works real well for cleaning it up, but yours may be too far gone, cleaning will tell.

Dan

Welcome. I like to spray old cords with fantastic or 409.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 23, 2009, 08:33:10 PM
Brinybay;
If you want to start cleaning the case, cord, and Handset, just take them apart, and wash them in warm water and dish soap. Then rinse in clear water and dry.
Then go onto the polishing as needed.
You will be surprised at how clean just plain soap and water can get a phone.
D/P

I've already cleaned everything except the cord and the innards.  And you're correct, the case, handset, and caps cleaned up very well just hand-washing them with dishsoap.  I didn't know how to separate the dial gear mechanism from the number plate, so I just took a damp soapy cloth and wiped it clean, worked ok.

The electronic innards have a lot of dust of some sort, but I don't plan to do a professional-level detailing on them, I'm way too lazy for that (not really worth it in this case).  I plan to hook an air nozzle up to one of my scuba tanks and just blast the dirt and dust off and leave it at that.  I might remove the bells to clean them, maybe even brasso them just for kicks.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 23, 2009, 08:50:28 PM
Just don't put the handset elements in the water!

Come on now, I may be a newbie, but I know better than that!   :D
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 23, 2009, 05:51:08 PM
Here is a link for a new finger wheel.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?rpage=search&category=Jack#01037

Scroll down to part #WEFW (Western Electric Finger Wheel).  The shipping probably costs more than the wheel itself.

Maybe I'll buy several to have on hand.  No doubt I'll be doing this again.

I looked on Phoneco's site and don't see any hardwired cords.  Oldphoneworks has them but I don't see beige.  You might give them a call.  I will look through my stuff and see if I might have a cord in beige.

Yeah, I think I'll can the cord.  The more I looked, the more bad spots I found.  May have been nibbled by rodents.

If you buy Novus2, I recommend eBay.  Since wherever you get it you have to pay shipping, you can find an 8oz bottle for about $4 - $5 plus shipping.  This seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370038269181

has it for $4.95 but his shipping is over $8 so just look around.  An 8oz bottle will last you a long time.  I buy it in half gallon bottles and even that lasted me two years. 

That Novus stuff must be good, so many people use it.  But I try to buy locally if I can, are there any retailers who normally carry it, or does everybody buy it online?
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I found Novus locally at a place that manufactures some type of plastic parts.  They are apparently a distributor as they wanted me to buy it by the case.  They don't sell individual bottles.  I have heard that some Harley Davidson shops carry it although I haven't checked.  The distributor I mentioned did sell half gallon bottles and I found it cheaper on eBay, even with shipping.  But if you buy it on eBay pay attention as to whether it is a 2oz or 8oz bottle.  There are varying prices for both.  If you're going to be doing other phones, or have other plastic things that need attention I'd recommend the 8oz bottle of #2. 

Konrad

Tap plastics has Novus or try a local fiberglass/plastic shop.