News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Electric and Radio?

Started by foots, May 04, 2009, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I was at my local antique mall recently and came across an old metal base phone that has no dial, right side hand crank and a handset that has Federal Electric and Radio on it. I may be wrong on the "Electric" part but I definately got the rest of the name correct. I have searched the web alot over the last few days and haven't found any info on this particular phone. Anybody have the slightest clue as to what I'm talking about?  I'm going back to the mall on the Friday before mother's day so I'll try to get a picture of it if need be. Its way overpriced for the condition its in so I don't think it'll be going anywhere any time soon.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

BDM

Yes, a pic would help. Look at the bottom also. It almost sounds like a SC or Kellogg as they made base mounted magneto sets. They're actually quite common if this is the case.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

These are neat phones, and show up frequently on ebay.  I've thought about getting one, but just haven't got around to it.  Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390045065206
= DARRIN =

BDM

Heck Bing, didn't even know such a monster existed. ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I've seen several around locally for sale, and have meant to get around to posting about them.

They're certainly beasts of a phone-much larger than a 302 or 500, and they weigh a ton. The ones I've seen tend to have either an F-1 handset or an SC looking handset. I don't have any information about them beyond this.

McHeath

Looks like a 302 after eating a million Ding Dongs and Twinkies.   :) 

"Honey does this phone make me look fat?"

HobieSport

Otherwise known as the "Jackie Gleason" or "Breadbox" phone? ;)
It actually has a certain charm, IMO. Like a tugboat with classy lines and curves so to speak. Or more like a classic old adding machine.

foots

Thanks. Even though I am very new this hobby I had heard of Western Electric, North and Northern, ect... but I had never heard of Federal Electric before and was just curious. I do really like the look of the phone and hopefully someday get myself one. I am particularly fond of metal phones. The handset on the one at the antique mall looks similar to an F1 but has Federal Electric and Radio on it. The phone on E-bay is the same model that's at the antique mall.
The sad thing is that most people around here have Barrett-Jackson syndrome, they watch too many Barrett-Jackson auctions then start beleiving everything they have is wort a fortune, or, "if its old, its gold" frame of mind.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Hmm... Is the dreaded Barrett-Jackson syndrome only contagious among sellers or do buyers catch it also, and if so, where can we find these buyers? :D ;)

Does anyone have any idea what the plate at the top of the phone is for?  Just curious. Did they ever come with dials?  The plate looks too small for that.

I like the metal phone too, Foots.  I like all phones but the metal ones are just so sturdy and hefty.

Dan/Panther

Hobiesport;
Weren't some of those equiped with a crank originally ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

The plate is a number card ring, and is the size of a standard number card ring.  It doesn't appear that the phone had a dial capability.   Unless one wanted to bore a 3" hole through the metal case.
= DARRIN =