News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Questions

Started by Sargeguy, January 12, 2011, 08:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Why do different ringers have different Ohms ratings?  What was the purpose?  Does it have any effect on the REN?  My 1200 ringers all work great but my 2500 ringers are both duds.  Just luck or is something else afoot?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

The lower resistance with a larger capacitor would be a larger REN. When you had one telephone set, 1000 or 1500 ohm ringers were common. Add more telephones and there was not as much current to ring them. Higher ringer impedance allows more ringers on the circuit.
Robby

Sargeguy

So let me get this straight:  Lower numbers on the ringer=harder to ring, higher numbers=easier to ring?

I am electronically inept, I thought it was the other way around.

Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Hi
I have experienced much of the same. The higer ohms on the ringer makes them more sensitive, but together with the lower ohms ringer on the same line they tends to fail. It seems like the low ohms ringers with larger capacitors steals the current. This causes a need adjustment to get all having some current. This are usually solved by putting resistors in series with the low ohm ringers. Smaller capacitors may be better.

dsk