News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ae 40 jumper help

Started by recrum, February 22, 2017, 08:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

Just got in another ae 40 need to pick your brain.  This one came with the 4 pin connector.  Now it's jumpered inside and I don't know if I need the jumper.  Also as you can see someone crimped on the two dial spades.  those I can trace back to the hook switch but there's a third wire on that part of the hook switch I can't see where it goes.  was hoping to just replace that circuit on the switch hook to get the soldered dial wires back.

AE_Collector

The ringers were connected between one side of the line and ground originally. Presumably someone wanted the ringer across the line (bridged) for private line use but instead of moving the ringer lead inside they added a strap. This makes the ground lead common to one side of the line which could cause problems in the connecting block.

I am not certain what the problem is with dial connections other than that they aren't actually connected.

Another Old Timer AE40!

Terry

recrum

It's a SL ringer so I'm not sure why they would have done that.  Is it safe then just to remove the jumper.  Sorry the dial was disconnected so I could get your survey filled out.  The two spade leads are crimped instead of soldered.  I was thinking of replacing that lower right circuit of the hook switich to get everything back to the original soldered connections, but there is a third wire one on that part of the hook switch I can trace were it goes. 

AE_Collector

Well a two party line would typically use a Straight Line ringer connected from wither Tip to ground or ring to ground. The ringers defaulted to being connected to one side of the line and the ground lead. Then in the set block you put the ground lead along with the green Tip lead to connect it for a Private Line. This was electrically the same as moving the ringer lead from ground to the tip side of the line inside the phone but the installer didn't have to open up the phone to accomplish it. In your case they chose option three, a jumper inside the phone.

I am assuming that there is something else other than the jumper and the set cord lead on that back screw half hidden by the induction coil? If not, then the jumper is doing nothing at all.

Terry

stub

recrum,
            I agree with Terry , it was wired for grd. ringing and now it's for bridged ( metallic ) ringing.  stub

4 prong plug -     GN       R

BK        Y
Kenneth Stubblefield

recrum

Got it. Thanks for the help guys. :)