News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stats Telefonen German Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, November 07, 2012, 01:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

In case you might be looking for one, this is on eBay. Really nice, but has damage in the back. These are just the coolest phones...Doug

http://tinyurl.com/ae6al33
Kidphone

wds

I picked up one of these recently.  The ringer is pretty interesting - it bolts in directly under that round hook, and has the hook switch built into the ringer assembly.  Can't figure out if the fingerwheel is supposed to be painted, or is it brass that has tarnished?  Nice sounding ringer.  Missing the transmitter though.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I just recently got one of these phones: ebay link.  I paid $63 for the phone without the WE subset which had been included in the original listing.  The phone is in mostly very good+ condition, but the handset is quite worn.  I gave it a mineral oil treatment to make it look darker, but I wouldn't mind finding a better looking replacement handset.  The phone works quite well.  The ringer is loud enough to make me jump out of my chair.  The design of the phone is quite unusual.  As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the shall is held to the phone by two screws which run through the bakelite part with the carrying loop on the top into a metal bracket which holds the ringer and hook switch.  The diagram on the condenser shows that this model is called "Telefonapparat M36".  A date rubber stamped onto the back of the bracket shows a "29 JAN 1940" date.  The dial is the type with the spring-loaded number plate which turns with the finger wheel.  The model number "7112" is stamped into the finger stop.  The Telefon Fabrik Automatic logo appears all over the phone.  It is stamped into the finger stop and painted white, it is molded into the various bakelite parts, and it is inset into the stop of the handset in red.

Larry

unbeldi

I would call that a nice price for this great old phone from Denmark.
Great find. I love it.
I appreciate your collection and reports of European phones.

This phone has a most unique finger hold of any, I think.  One is supposed to stick only ONE finger into that ring and carry the phone!  At least it's made from Bakelite and not heavy metal.

Matilo Telephones

Well, it is made of very thick bakelite. And there are heavy metal parts inside. The thing is built like a tank.

But I suppose Danish fingers from the 30s are somewhat different than those of today.

About that handset, I have several of those standard Danish handsets and they all have a somewhat dull surface and are conspicuously smooth and seemless. I think they are sanded down and polished, like Siemens used to do on their early bakelite handsets in the 20s.

If that is the case for all of those Danish ones, you'll never find a shiny one.

By the way, you may want to try petroleum jelly instead of mineral oil. It seems to penetrate the bakelite better, especially if you leave the handset on the radiator for a day.

Nice find. Interesting and very unusual phone this one.

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones