News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Western Electric 500

Started by Craig T, May 27, 2010, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Well I took the leap and bought my first phone off of the bay. It had been listed just over an hour when I seen it, so I asked a couple questions quick and since the phone and the price were right, I bought it.

It arrived today and has plenty of scuffs on it, but no cracks or deep scratches anyhow. The dial, base, network and ringer are 4-55. The case is 1971.

It will need some work, but it is nice to have a red 500 finally.

http://tinyurl.com/35js27o
( dead link 05-31-21 )

JorgeAmely

As I see it, it is a diamond (or a ruby) in the rough. Have fun.
Jorge

Dan

Love the red ones--I bet the cord is dated fron the 70's too, check the steel thingy (brain cramp--can't think of the name of the attacher thing).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

gpo706

Nice!

Mine was in better nick though it has slight discolouration, and cleaned up nice as will yours, also mines is a modular refurb though the insides are older.

Congratulations on your first ebay buy, nice price too.

S.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bwanna

Quote from: Dan on May 27, 2010, 08:40:12 PM
Love the red ones--I bet the cord is dated fron the 70's too, check the steel thingy (brain cramp--can't think of the name of the attacher thing).

strain relief   ;)

nice phone craig, let's see her after she's all shined up ;D
donna

Dan

Thanks Donna--that was bugging the hell out of me :o
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Great price.  I don't have a red 500, yet, but I certainly like the look of them.  This one looks solid, and probably will clean up well.  Enjoy. 

AET

Congrats on your first red phone/ebay purchase.  I will warn you, at least it's the case in my collection, people will immediately be drawn to a red phone and will have to play with it.  Drives me nuts as mine's Pristine thanks to the fine work of a talented telephone restorer.
- Tom

Craig T

Thanks Everyone  :)  I am excited to get started on the phone in about 30 minutes here. Dan, your are right on about the cord, it is a 1972. Jorge, I hope it turns out anything like your projects do!

Thanks Donna, I hope it shines up nice like some of the others have over the winter. Tom, I am planning to switch this one out with the black 5-54 500 in my office at work, so now I need to put up one of those signs my dad used to run at the car shows, "Look with your eyes, not your hands!"  :)