News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did I say no more phones? Got a pink 61-500.

Started by Greg G., June 30, 2010, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Larry:

You are going to need an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of all that goo.  ;) ;D
Jorge

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on June 30, 2010, 12:21:12 AM
More pics.

The date stamping on the bottom is interesting.  Most 500 sets have the date on the 3rd line, not the first!

In the photo, it appears to be the original date.  In person, does it seem to have been overpainted?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on July 01, 2010, 01:00:44 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on June 30, 2010, 12:21:12 AM
More pics.

The date stamping on the bottom is interesting.  Most 500 sets have the date on the 3rd line, not the first!

In the photo, it appears to be the original date.  In person, does it seem to have been overpainted?

Yes, it does.  I noticed that when I first examined it, but not the order of the markings.  I was mostly looking for rust and corrosion.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

All totaled this took about 6 hrs.  I discovered a new cleaning technique in the process, particularly for the logos.  I used some Novus 2 and an old electric toothbrush, worked very well!  Just put a dab of N2 on the toothbrush like you would toothpaste.  

Instead of trying to buff the grime off with my buffer attachment for my drill, I used the toothbrush on the handset as well.  I saw what appeared to be a whitish discoloration on the underside of the handset that my buffer wouldn't get off, but it was actually white plaque-like gunk that the toothbrush method worked well on removing.  You can see it in the "before" pic of the handset if you click on the picture to enlarge it, especially around the receiver end.

It had a sticker-type number card that was partially wore off.  When I removed the fingerwheel, I found a vintage number card with an old Seattle exchange (SUnset) underneath.

I used a biscuit to fix the ugly mod-end modification that was on it.  But even that I consider a temporary fix.

So w/o further ado, I present to you the new and improved pink 500.  I wish all my phones cleaned up this well!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Very nice Greg!  And a "bonus" card to top it off.  Nice telephone and a very popular color.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

Wow, it really came out nice.  Sparkling bubble gum pink!  The idea of the electric toothbrush is interesting, might have to try that.

JorgeAmely

Very nice job Greg, and NO SANDING REQUIRED!
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Excellent work on that very handsome Pink phone. They are one of my Favorites colors. How about you Bill C?
The toothbrush idea is one I've used before to get at tight spots on radio chassis, for that application I used Brasso for the aluminum.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on June 30, 2010, 04:46:39 PM
I don't know about flowerbed phones, they did make a patio phone tho.
http://www.paul-f.com/wephot.html

There is one of them that turned up and is the hands of a collector (not me)

Jim

Found the link for Mike Davis's Patio Phone:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/am/mvtel/homepage.html

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM
Very nice job Greg, and NO SANDING REQUIRED!

Those last 3 words are music to my ears!
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on July 01, 2010, 09:41:56 AM
Wow, it really came out nice.  Sparkling bubble gum pink!  The idea of the electric toothbrush is interesting, might have to try that.

I also used it in the cradle area to get all the small surfaces and corners with equal success, including that part that holds the plungers in place.  Not sure what you call that, plunger holder doo-dad?

Also worked well in getting stubborn sticker residue off the finger wheel.  I tried it "plain" at first, just the wet toothbrush w/o Novus, but that didn't work. 
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

very nice, greg 8).  i often use a toothbrush for cleaning purposes, but i like the idea of "more power"  :)
donna

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"