News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some of My Radios

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 15, 2015, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Here is my Silvertone 4500 (c1937) that I just reassembled yesterday.

LarryInMichigan

Crosley E-15CE "Dashboard" 1952

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on January 21, 2015, 10:50:37 PM
Do you know about the solid state tubes for the T/O? I bought the solid state 1L6 and it improved the sensitivity and reception.

For what it's worth, I recently found a 1953 ZTO H500 and doing web research for it, I read somewhere that the SS replacements work well but the voltages have to be right on. If not, the SS tubes may resemble a flash bulb, but only once. Forgot where I read that but I do remember the caution to make sure DC voltages were in spec.

LarryInMichigan

Silvertone 2003 (c.1953-6), missing the "Silvertone" lettering from the front (but it was cheap, and it works well).

Fabius

Picked this up for a steal ($50) at the Retro Tech show in Irving Texas from the same people I bought the 51AL from. This is a Zenith 5S127 with the big black dial. It works and the finish is excellent.

They had another big black dial Zenith tombstonethat the starting asking price ($95) was about the same. I should of, I could of and I would of if I wasn't an idiot, I didn't buy it.   

I've been kicking myself in the butt since but I am thankful for what I did steal, err got.

The first picture is my Zenith. The next two are to show the wood work detail.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dennis Markham

Larry, I neglected to comment on your latest projects.  The chartreuse Crosley looks very nice.  I have that model in Tan (as you probably remember) but I haven't refurbished it yet.

Tom, the Zenith is beautiful!  What a great radio at an even better price.  Congratulations on that purchase!

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

Dennis, We would love to see pictures of your Crosley E-15TN.  I know that I am partially to blame for that one as well (though it really was a great price).

Tom, That Zenith is beautiful.  I really want to get one of those very stylish mid to late 1930s "tombstone" radios, but the prices are always above my head.

This radio thing is rather addictive.

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 29, 2015, 01:26:29 PM
Silvertone 2003 (c.1953-6), missing the "Silvertone" lettering from the front (but it was cheap, and it works well).

Cheap or not, this radio is nice to looking and it's cleaned.

jsowers

Tom, your Zenith tombstone is in wonderful shape and that was quite a bargain. Some people may not know those are wooden knobs on those radios. I think this is a 1937 model and among the first of the big black dial Zeniths.

Those big Zenith tombstones remind me a lot of the one used on The Waltons, if rather incorrectly. Somehow they listened to Roosevelt's 1933 inaugural address on a 1938 radio. But the effect was nice.

I could look at old radios all day long. Keep on posting them!
Jonathan

Fabius

The Walton Zenith is a mega buck radio. It had the shutter big black Zenith dial. Many radio models seen on TV shows bring more then they should, An example is the Gilligan's Island radio.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

Zenith H615ZP (c.1952)

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Russ Kirk

Love those deep red dials.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

Zenith Royal "500" all transistor (c.1956)

AE40FAN

The "owl" transistor radio!  Like it a lot!!