News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Old black phone" from a relative...

Started by Netdewt, March 06, 2010, 04:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I haven't seen it, but I'm going to ask for pictures. My cousin has an "old black phone" he found on his uncles farm when he died. He says he thinks it's made of metal, but he also said the fingerwheel is clear. I was hoping it was a pre-war 302, but the fingerwheel is throwing me off. Ideas?

I'll post pictures when I get them.

Jim Stettler

Just get it. It is an old dial phone that is yours for postage. It is worthwhile.
Get it.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bwanna

netdewt, is he gonna give the phone to you ??? or does he just want you to identify it for him ???

if he is giving it away...take it... even if it is not something you can use now, might come in handy as "donor" set :o

imho
donna

Netdewt

I'm taking it for sure, they said I could have it. I'm just super curious and wondering if the minimal description I have for it "rings a bell"  ::) for anyone.

LarryInMichigan

McHeath

Hmm, clear fingerwheels are typically a "newer" item, as in late 40's and up.  Maybe it was refurbed at some point.  Will be interesting to see it.

Netdewt

I know, I was hopeful. I'll still take it, but it's an ITT 554. Late 60's early 70's?

Dennis Markham

I would guess early 70's.  On a positive side it does have a chrome hook and it is hardwired.  Is there a modular plate on the back (with the sliding modular plug) so that it can be hung on a wall jack?  The dial is the later, #9 dial.  But you're in the ball park, late 60's, early 70's.  I don't know when ITT began producing phones.

LarryInMichigan

ITT started as Kellogg.  I have a Kellogg ITT 500 with a bakelite handset which has "Kellogg ITT" molded into it.  I think that it is from the late 50s.

Larry

McHeath

Yeah I also guessing that this 554 is a late 60's or early 70's model.  Someplace around 1980 ITT switched to clear plastic hooks, but they kept hardwired cords in the mix until at least 1990 or so.