News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a phone, as a subset.

Started by Dan/Panther, December 03, 2008, 02:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can you use a modern phone, as a subset for an older phone like a 202, or a candlestick phone. If so what type phone will work. Obviously stripped down, and placed discretely in a wooden box.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JimH

I've seen several sellers on ebay and other sites that use the base of a 302 without the dial and switch hook with a plastic cover over it that looks similar to a 584/684 compact subset cover.  It looks like it works great, having the leather feet on the bottom comes in handy.  I prefer to hold out for a genuine subset, even though they cost more.  There was a website, I can't recall which, that sold the covers.  I guess if you have an old 302 with a damaged plastic shell it would be a cheaper way to go.  
Jim H.

winkydink

Quote from: JimH on December 03, 2008, 03:12:07 AM
I've seen several sellers on ebay and other sites that use the base of a 302 without the dial and switch hook with a plastic cover over it that looks similar to a 584/684 compact subset cover.  It looks like it works great, having the leather feet on the bottom comes in handy.  I prefer to hold out for a genuine subset, even though they cost more.  There was a website, I can't recall which, that sold the covers.  I guess if you have an old 302 with a damaged plastic shell it would be a cheaper way to go. 

Here are a couple of websites that have "subset covers" for a converted 302.

http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod02.htm
( dead link 02-12-22 )

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/antique-phone-parts/parts-and-pieces/subsets/

If someone could supply pictures of the wiring to convert a 302 to a subset, that would be much appreciated. 

I am currently looking for a subset for a candlestick phone (model 51 AL).  Would I be able to use this converted 302 as a subset for the candlestick even though the 302 would be anti sidetone ?

Dennis Markham

I do not know the answer to your question about using a side-tone phone with the 302 "ringer box".  But I think Bingster answered it in the other posting when he said a side-tone phone cannot be made into an anti side-tone phone by connecting it to a anit side-tone box.  I have a couple of the converted 302's with the Ray Kotke covers.  Yes they are a poor man's version of the ringer box but I like them for a couple of reasons (besides the cost).  It is low profile.  I have the recovered leather foot pads that allow it to sit on the desk with the phone atop the box.  I like to use these phones so it makes plugging them in and using them easy.  The anti side-tone B1's and D 1's require a 4 conductor cord from the phone to the subset.  Then a regular line cord is needed from the box to the wall. 

By the way, the last time I talked to Ray Kotke, (Telephone Creations - mentioned above)  back in April he said he didn't have any more of the covers but had planned to make more.  I checked with him mid-summer and he still had not produced any more but said he would in a few weeks.  I haven't checked again.  I do see them from time to time on eBay.

Attached are a couple photos.  Sorry about the blurry ones, but it gives the idea.

Dennis

bingster

TCI has a wiring diagram for using a 302 as a subset:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/302subset.pdf

You can use any phone with any subset with no risk of damage.  It's only a matter of either the phone or the subset not giving the performance it was designed to give.  The diagrams of sidetone subsets/sidetone phones say that you can reduce sidetone by reversing the red and yellow leads of the mounting cord inside the subset (yellow going to "R" and red going to "L2Y").  I'm not sure if that would work with an anti-sidetone subset/sidetone phone setup, but it wouldn't hurt to try if you get a lot of sidetone. 

I really like the looks of these, too.  The case is tastefully designed, and would look good anywhere.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Thanks matt;
I'd forgotten about Ben's thread.
D/P

mienaichizu

I'm also doing some experiments with an AT&T phone as a subset but still has no results as of now

Dan/Panther

All the time I see Oak phones, and early phones with modern phones hidden inside, and they claim the phone works. I just see no problem with just substituting the bell wires with the old ones, the transmitter wires with the old ones, and the receiver wires with the old ones. I haven't tried it, but logic tells me the new phone doesn't care which element it receives it signal from, unless of course it takes much more power to operate the older elements, and bells, than it does to operate the new ones ?
D/P