News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Won a Statuary Bronze 302!

Started by JimH, February 27, 2014, 04:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I held my breath on this one.  I saw this auction 37 minutes into it.  $25 buy it now plus $18.45 shipping, so $43.45.  I can't believe I debated on it, it just looked like an ugly self-inflicted paint job at first.  Then I thought "well, the dial is worth that at least", and then I noticed the groove-less handset.  So I bought it.  I didn't realize this was a factory color at first.  Then I researched it and I think it's pretty rare.  So the "held my breath" part:  The seller had two other black 302s..each with a starting bid of $25.  Oh boy...I thought this "buy it now" for $25 may be a mistake.  I was bracing to get an email that it was.  Then I got a shipping confirmation email, and today it arrived.  It's in very nice condition.  Had a "bonus" number card and what looks like an original grayish dial mask.  I guess I was in the right place at the right time. The inside chassis is dated 11-45, and the newest date is the receiver capsule dated 53. The handset is brown bakelite.  It's a #6 dial and has clear plungers.  The dial is sticky but I plugged it in and it works!

The ebay auction number was 321333104562:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GREEN-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-TELEPHONE-1940S-/321333104562

Here's a few pics from the auction. And a few I took today after I turned around the number card.
Jim H.

WesternElectricBen

Great, superb find! I'm very envious...

I cannot wait to see what it will be like after the restoration.

Ben

JimH

I don't know that I'm going to do much but lightly clean it very carefully.  I think I will take apart the dial and clean and lubricate it.  They are much like the #7s, I've had a lot of practice and guidance thanks to this site. I haven't checked the dates on the cords...they look original.  I'm not sure.  I did see that these came with brown cloth cords originally.  But it may have been refurbished in the early 50s.  I would hate to try and touch up the paint.  It looks great "on the hook" as it is.  I think I would ruin it if I did.

Jim
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

GEEEARGH! I saw that very phone, but I passed on it because I wasnt sure that it was factory. Well, it went to a good home, rather than someone who mainly focuses on 500s (me). Beautiful find, Jim! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

I should've remembered this color combination.  A couple of years ago I got what looks like to be a NOS Princess painted this very way.  It's dated 1970 and came with the box for I think about $40.  I guess this color was not too popular. I thought it was the ugliest Princess phone I'd ever seen, but bought it anyway.

Here's a pic of them together now:
Jim H.

Sargeguy

That is one ugly paint scheme, but an excellent find!!! Love the matching dial center!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Jim....you got a steal! The dial is worth that.....great find!!!...Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Nice find Jim.  I came across this auction and didn't think much of it!  Glad it found a nice home.

Dennis Markham

Nice find, Jim.  Congratulations!  I smell a "Find of the Month" contestant for February.

Mr. Bones

Congrats on the nice 302, Jim!

For what it's worth, I think the Oil-Rubbed Bronze-finish Princess is incredibly cool, as well! Other's mileage may vary. I claim 'First Dibs', if you someday decide to get rid of it,(702) by the way! ;)

Here's rooting for you, for Find o' th' Month, as well!!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus