News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS WE 1500

Started by JimH, October 03, 2008, 07:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I just bought a NOS ten button 1500 (beige) still in the box with the instructions for $50.  It is from 1966 and has never been used.  It has a weird clip on the inside of the faceplate to hold the number in.  NOW....my dilemma...NOS phones still in the box bother me, besides having great resale value (if you get them cheap)  I really can't display it unless I "ruin" the "NOS"-ness of the phone.  I guess if I don't touch it and dust it often I can display it.  I just don't want to ruin the value.  Any thoughts on NOS, and what this one might be worth?
Jim H.

JimH

OOPS....am I outside our discussion forum here talking about a touch tone phone......?
Jim H.

BDM

Quote from: JimH on October 03, 2008, 07:50:31 AM
OOPS....am I outside our discussion forum here talking about a touch tone phone......?

I wouldn't think so. TT telephones are officially "vintage" anyhoot
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: JimH on October 03, 2008, 07:37:30 AM
I just bought a NOS ten button 1500 (beige) still in the box with the instructions for $50.  It is from 1966 and has never been used.  It has a weird clip on the inside of the faceplate to hold the number in.  NOW....my dilemma...NOS phones still in the box bother me, besides having great resale value (if you get them cheap)  I really can't display it unless I "ruin" the "NOS"-ness of the phone.  I guess if I don't touch it and dust it often I can display it.  I just don't want to ruin the value.  Any thoughts on NOS, and what this one might be worth?

Jim, I've got to tell you, I dislike Touch-Tone phones immensely. But, having said that, you've got a good one! To my knowledge, the only truly collectible TT is the 10-button, and it's worth keeping in pristine condition.  Unfortunately the term NOS is used way too much. The problem with NOS status is that, at least where phones are concerned, it can't be proven. Evidence of wear can surely prove that a phone isn't NOS, but what distinguishes NOS from a phone that has been carefully restored? The presence of the box doesn't prove anything, as phones weren't factory sealed.  If they were, and factory shrink-wrap was in place, then that could be compelling evidence. I've got a beautiful AE Starlite that was advertised as NOS, and it clearly looks unused, but one of the cork feet was missing from the bottom. It certainly didn't crawl out of the box by itself, so I was obviously not the first person to take the phone from its box. If it were me, and assuming it's truly in as-new condition, I'd be tempted to keep it boxed up and dust-free. Or not!  It's not ultra-valuable, so I'd do what suits you. I don't know much about their value, but I'd say it's worth at least what you paid, and probably a good deal more.  8)

McHeath

How about some pictures of this 1500?

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on October 03, 2008, 06:11:30 PM
How about some pictures of this 1500?

Yea... what he said!  ;D

Dan/Panther

Geez Mark, don't be so anti-Touchy.....

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

I dislike TT phones myself.
May we see pictures?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

vitanola

Gosh!  I ruined thousands of these sets, by depriving them of their "NOS-ness" over the years.  I did the same thing to 2564's and even a few Call Directors.

Of course, in those days all 1A2, and even some 1A1 and 1A key equipment WAS NOS!

Need a 551 KSU?