News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help! Faux Kellog Phone Repair

Started by cavaughan, September 11, 2011, 11:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavaughan

So, I came into possession of this, what I believe to be a fake Kellog wooden wall phone. It's in rather poor condition, but I thought it would be a fun hobby to fix up. Once I got it open, I found that a lot of the separate parts (the dialer and the ringer) were no longer connected to what I'll call the central piece or heart of the phone. I've search everywhere on the Internet, thinking surely somebody has fixed one of these before, but have not been able to anything. So, I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas.
Anyhow, the picture here is of that central part. The 2 wires coming off of it lead to the earpiece. I've tried using the phone line wires in various combinations on the other contacts to get a dial tone. If I connect these wires directly to the earpiece wires, I do get a dial tone. But I haven't figured anything else out. I'm starting to wonder whether the phone line wires are supposed to attach to the dialer and then the dialer has to be correctly hooked up to this central part.
Anyhow, if anybody knows what this is and how it should be hooked up, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
One final note. I realize that it would probably be simpler for me to find an old rotary phone that works and put those parts in this phone, since it's a fake anyhow. But the challenge for me was to get this phone working as it is.
Thanks for any help!

Curtis

GG

That network board is Japanese.  The proof is that the terminals are round push-on pins, which were standard in Japan starting with the NTT type 650 telephone (which, when seen from the rear, also looks vaguely like an updated Kellogg 1000 or even a GPO-706, though this is purely coincidental).   The induction coil wrapped in clear plastic is also a clue, as is the name Tawa on one of the components (presumably a large capacitor assembly). 

It is possible that an actual Kellogg magneto wall set (wood box type) was modified by someone who had access to those Japanese parts and used them for the modification. 

In any case, if you post complete pictures, someone here will be able to advise how to restore this or make it work on standard phone lines.

cavaughan

Ok, so I removed all the essential parts from the wooden frame and posed them in the attached picture.
Working clockwise starting with the item at 5:30.. I don't know exactly what that is. It was connected up, but I've decided not to connected it back as it was in order to avoid possible confusion. That is, maybe they were not connected up right.
Next: Ear piece (for lack of a better word) connected as it came.
Next (~10:00): Dialer (it was not connected)
Then: Mouth piece
Finally: the ringer.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

I can provide more detailed pictures, if necessary.

Curtis

cavaughan

Ok, since no one seems to know what this stuff is and how to connect it back together, could someone maybe provide me with information about what I could get to replace the insides of this phone so that it works like a Kellog phone?

Thanks!

Doug Rose

Curtis.....post some pictures of your phone that you want to restore so we can see what you have. If it is a magneto or crank phone, they were not made to work with dial tone. Probably why all the newer network boards are in it. Give us some pictures and we'll set you on the right path. ....Doug
Kidphone

cavaughan

Doug, the pictures are in this post. The only thing lacking is the box itself and I don't see what that matters. There is, btw, a crank on the side of the box, but it was in no way connected to the internal parts. That's because somebody at some point possibly switched out the insides for some Japanese parts.

If you need me to post a picture of the box nonetheless, I'll post it.

Thanks!

HarrySmith

Hi Curtis, welcome to the forum!
Yes, a picture of the box would be helpful so we can identify what we are working with. Several pictures in fact, front, back & insides.
I would toss those Jap parts in a box somewhere and look for a trashed Western Electric 302 or 500 to cannabilize for some good components to use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Your dial is made by Taiko in Japan and is the same kind as Jack Bohnsack used to use on his 1011 test handsets.  Those are all good parts, keep them around as you may need them for something some day. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 14, 2011, 10:05:22 PM
I would toss those Jap parts in a box somewhere and look for a trashed Western Electric 302 or 500 to cannabilize for some good components to use.

I think that is what everyone here is thinking. While the Japanese parts may be usable, no one knows much about them at all. So since a 500 or AE80 can be bought for a few $$, going that route will buy you much better support from this forum. As mentioned, you don't want the original parts back if you want to use it rather than restore it. Magneto phones are not compatible with todays phone systems. You need to put a relatively modern circuit board inside and thn wire the transmitter & receiver of the phone to the new board. That is why we would like to see the wooden phone so we can make the best suggestions on how to proceed.

Terry

cavaughan

Ok, I've finally taken a picture of the whole thing - apart. Hopefully that's OK. The photo is below and is not great, but hopefully good enough. I would really appreciate exact information on what I need to buy and where I might get it. I have no probably say buying an old phone and cannibalizing it for this project. But I need to know what will work.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Curtis