News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 5306, 306, 356 Electron tubes in phones.

Started by rtp129495, January 06, 2018, 01:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

Hey do any of you with a 5306, 306, etc... ever see the tube light when it rings or set it up to see it normally?

Jester

RTP,
Look up member Jorge Amely.  He posted some great info. on these tubes and how to use them for straight line circuits.  He also covered their successors for the 500's.
Stephen

TelePlay

Jorge fell victim to the Picassa diaster but recently sent me a link to this site, now on Google Photos, of a tube with the covering removed. Nice images, and, public thanks to Jorge for updating his old post external links from Picassa to Google.

He may have other topics on the forum, this is one that was broken and fixed and the link forwarded to me:

Western Electric 501 Phone with a 426A Tube

Here are two images from that Google site, more posted at the link.

TelePlay

If you search the site for 426A and use the member handle in the search being JorgeAmely, you will get a lot of hits with good information including this one, which now has the fixed link, and a few replies below that with wire connections a wiring diagram drawn by Jorge.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2669.0

JorgeAmely

Quote from: TelePlay on January 06, 2018, 12:26:51 PM
Jorge fell victim to the Picassa diaster but recently sent me a link to this site, now on Google Photos, of a tube with the covering removed. Nice images, and, public thanks to Jorge for updating his old post external links from Picassa to Google.

He may have other topics on the forum, this is one that was broken and fixed and the link forwarded to me:

Western Electric 501 Phone with a 426A Tube

Here are two images from that Google site, more posted at the link.

When you click on the link above and then click again on each picture, you can see the comments I added when I created the album.
Jorge

TelePlay

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 06, 2018, 01:02:17 PM
When you click on the link above and then click again on each picture, you can see the comments I added when I created the album.

Thanks, Jorge, forgot to add that.

And, I replaced all of the dead links in all of your topics with the above link. I think I got them all.

Really good work on your part valuable to anyone wanting to work with a 426A tube phone.

AL_as_needed

I have a WE 501 that while didn't have the tube in it when I got, now once again has the correct tube wired in. Originally the tubes were dipped in a lacquer to hide the glow, but nothing a scrubby sponge couldn't fix  ;)
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 06, 2018, 06:59:36 PM
Originally the tubes were dipped in a lacquer to hide the glow, but nothing a scrubby sponge couldn't fix  ;)

I guess they didn't want subscribers thinking it was the Bat Phone!

Terry

twocvbloke

Rumour has it that the early GPO 706 phones, that had a bare bulb on the regulator board inside, some people saw the dull red glow at night and dunked the phone in water thinking it was on fire, and from then on they painted the regulators with black paint...  ;D

This doesn't happen these days as the lines are regulated at the exchange, so no high current coming down the wires that needs regulating, so the one in my manual 706 will never visibly glow again, unless I powered it with something other than a phone line/PABX...  ;D