News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Emergency Phone

Started by Nilsog, July 22, 2011, 03:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Picked this up on eBay, after cleaning it all up I thought it would be cool to see if it worked, then I thought to myself... what if it dials 911? There is no dial, so I assume it is programmed to automatically dial a number to get to a dispatch center. It came from New York City... so I'm not sure what it would dial. My question is, is it possible to 'reprogram' a number I would like into this phone? Or at least 'deprogram' 911 or whatever emergency number was in it?

Ken

LarryInMichigan

I don't think that there is anything in the phone to dial a number, but that it was intended to be used on a manual circuit.

Larry

Nilsog

So if I wired in a cable and plugged it in, would I get a dial tone or nothing? If anything I'd plug it in just to hear it ring.
Ken

LarryInMichigan

I would expect that you would get a dial tone, and it would ring.

Larry

Nilsog

great I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.
Ken

Nilsog

It works! It rings when i call the housephone and I can dial out by clicking the switch hook. Thanks!
Ken

gpo706

I was thinking the same as Larry, it would be a direct line, no "911" pulse/tone.

Its an absolutely superb looking piece of kit, congratulations, put it on a post in your back yard!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Nilsog

Better yet, its now mounted on the wall in the mancave! I'll upload a video if anyones interested in seeing it, and hearing it :D
Ken

Nilsog

Ken