News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

help repairing AE D-56548-42 "33 ringer"

Started by dobah, April 29, 2010, 03:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobah

My ringer has been working all this time for maybe 30+ years however it has stopped working recently.  I'd like to try to resurrect it rather than tossing it and buying a newer one.  When I call home using my cell phone, the arm doesn't look like it moves.  When I call and hold the arm, it twitches but doesn't move enough to hit the bells.  Maybe the t-mobile at home (voip) service doesn't work with this ringer.  Also I'm in the middle of final exams now so I may not get here very often.

I found 2 postings but they are for different units.  Mines isn't a phone, only a ringer but the insides look the same.

This one is a 33 hz ringer.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=947.0

This one is a 54 hz ringer.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=610.15

Dan/Panther

Dobah;
Welcome to our forum.
You have a frequency Ringer (42 Hz ). Usually they won't work on a standard phone line. You need a SL, Straight Line ringer. How has the phone been working up until now? Are you located in the US. Or maybe an area where party lines are still used ? To get your phone to ring you may need to replace the ringer, with a SL ringer. you can find them on Ebay for about $15-20.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Welcome to the group.  Today's phone lines work at 20 hz in the US.  Yours wasn't supposed to ring in the first place, but I have an AE 40 with a 50 hz ringer that rings and isn't supposed to, so go figure.

Yes, look for a straight line ringer for your phone.  BTW, what does an D-56548-42 phone look like?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
              Here's one .  These ringers were used on the 183 Spacesaver's and are in color. I don't know what other phones they were used on .   stub

Dobah'   Welcome to the forum , and you will have to get a straight  line ringer and you might still have some problems . I don't know the ring voltage for t -mobile .        stub       

Sorry, about notes on table, that's where my memory is!
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

I see, it's just the ringer, I thought it was a phone.  Thanks for posting that, I need one for my AE 183, now I know what to look for.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on April 29, 2010, 07:25:35 PM
Brinybay,
               Here's one .  These ringers were used on the 183 Spacesaver's and are in color. I don't know what other phones they were used on .   stub
  stub

These are called "33 Ringers". They were general purpose ringers used as extension ringers, night bells on PABX's, as ringers for phones such as the spacesavers or early Starlite's that didn't have internal ringers and in more recent years they would be added where a phone with the new single gong ringers wasn't loud enough to do the job. The cover was available in all (or maybe just most) standard AE colors. They are "33 ringers" because they replaced the "32 ringer".

PICTURES BELOW:
The 32 ringer was available as just an extension ringer OR complete with network components as shown in the pictures below.

Terry

dobah

Thanks for the info everyone.  I am currently in Hawaii so maybe if I switch back to the hawaiiantel landline service then it'll work again.  So far what I gather is I have little hope in getting this baby to ring again.

Here is something I found somewhere else.  It was an attempt to get an old ringer to work and at least for one person it did work.  Maybe if there is a schematic I could reference for my box then I'll make an attempt to get this working.  Is there some model number that I could reference to look up?
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=728837&page=51

Just speaking of model numbers, I tried to look this baby up.  Maybe this is it?  I'll try to reference this document against my box and hopefully it'll match.  Final exams sucks and I'm in the middle of it right now so this is a project next week.  In the manual it says the ringer frequency determines the capacitor used and table 2 lists all the frequencies including straight line.  Maybe this is what I need to change to get my ringer working?
http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/gsps/g473/gsp_473-810-200.3.pdf

Here is a Google book that I found after looking a bit for a straight line ringer.  The book is dated from the 1916's and the picture is sort of similar but probably from a different era.  This is old stuff, just something interesting to read.
http://books.google.com/books?id=QitWAAAAMAAJ&lpg=RA2-PA8&ots=txg8mu6Nka&dq="a biased ringer is one that operates with pulsating current&pg=RA2-PA7#v=onepage&f=false

bingster

ae_collector, is the AE 33 ringer/subset about the same size as a WE 684 subset?  In the photos, it looks like it would smaller for some reason.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on May 01, 2010, 03:30:44 PM
ae_collector, is the AE 33 ringer/subset about the same size as a WE 684 subset?  In the photos, it looks like it would smaller for some reason.

Sorry Bingster....I missed your question here somehow.

33 ringers are about 5" x 5" square. They were only ever a ringer, not a subset like the 32 ringer was (sometimes). The 32 was black baklelite where as the 33 was made to match all AE set colors.

Terry

dobah

Howdy all,

Just a little update on my ringer.  After I found the pdf document at telephonearchive.com I removed the old .08 uf capacitor and put a 100v .47 uf capacitor I got from IC supply.  Before I couldn't even tell if the arm moved at all but now it moves about 1/8 inch to the left/right.  Not far enough to hit the bell but it moved.  Call me cheap but I didn't want to drive out to IC supply and buy another capacitor with hawaii's gas prices.  I unscrewed one of the bells and drilled a new hole which placed it a hair away from the arm.  From what I remember the ring is much softer now.  Please note I have a linksys wrtu54g-tm router for voice over ip service running the whole thing.  I'm very happy to hear a ring and hopefully it'll work for another 30 years.

D

AE_Collector

Quote from: dobah on June 19, 2010, 09:21:42 PM
Call me cheap but I didn't want to drive out to IC supply and buy another capacitor with hawaii's gas prices.  I unscrewed one of the bells and drilled a new hole which placed it a hair away from the arm.  D

I'll call you *environmentally responsible*.....not *cheap*! Get the capacitor next time you are driving by rather than making a special trip.

The holes drilled in the gongs are off centre so that you can rotate them to make them closer or further from the clapper. I guess that wasn't enough to make any difference?

Terry

dobah

I went out shopping that day so I stopped by IC Supply.  Radio Shack didn't have the part so I had to go somewhere else.  Yes I noticed the clapper was off center but it wasn't close enough.  That is what gave me the idea to drill a new hole and make it closer.