News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 Handset Evolution

Started by tekuhn, October 24, 2016, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekuhn

I am working on restoring a D1/202 with an E1 handset. I have accumulated 4 E1 handsets with parts I've purchased and see a fair amount of variation in the components used. Can someone point me to an existing thread on the evolution of the components used in this handset? If not, I will post my findings and ask questions here.

#1 - My earliest E1 contained a receiver module that is inkstamped in red with 557 and 328 around the rim. Pretty sure that means the model is 557 and the date is 3/28. The magnet assembly is also inkstamped red with several patent dates, but nothing is stamped in the metal. The transmitter module is a one-piece unit with a bullet-shaped bakelite waveguide. It is inkstamped on the smooth section between the 2 threaded sections with 1/33 in blue and 4/36 M in red. The body is missing the "seam" and the logo box in the center of the grip contains 9 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#2 - My second oldest E1 has a receiver module that is inkstamped 557 B and I 34, but has the patent information stamped in the metal base. The transmitter module is the same as #1 above with only a single red date of 7/34. This body is also "seamless", but the logo in the center of the grip handle contains much less information with only 5 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#3 - Third oldest has receiver module identical to #2 only marked 557 B and II 35. The transmitter on this E1 is the newer 3-piece style consisting of the adapter which is inkstamped in red with 625 A. This holds an F1 transmitter element and then there is a perforated bakelite cover over the element before the spitcup cover is screwed on. The main body has a seam running all the way around and the logo consists of 5 lines of text. Cord is brown cloth.

#4 - The newest of these units is basically like #3 only the 625 A adapter has a curved outer spring contact instead of a straight one. It has a black plastic insulated cord.

Just curious if my units and observations are typical and looking for any other information on the E1 that might be helpful to a restoration. Thanks!

unbeldi

This article, and its whole thread in other places, contains E1 information in the middle of the post under "Handset for B and D-type mountings."
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125730#msg125730

With some searching you will also find other posts in various places that show some of the features of E1 handsets.

The earliest versions are indeed those with the 9-line inscription.  The linked article lists the various other types.