News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green 302, painted handset

Started by oldguy, June 18, 2017, 06:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Is it normal for a green thermoplastic 302 to have a painted handset?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332268511257
Gary

unbeldi

The set is a 304GR-51.   It is not a 302, as incorrectly stated in the description.    However, if you read the auction description, it explains the rest of the story.  These sets were issued after the 302/304 line had been discontinued from the factory, and were assembled at the shops in 1955.

For more explanation, read 1955 Ivory 302—A rare breed:  302GR-50

TelePlay

Auction description:

"At first glance, this phone looks like a typical green WE 302, but it is something quite different. These unusual, soft-plastic colored versions of the WESTERN ELECTRIC 302 are not often seen, and they are a real mystery.  The housing is molded of soft plastic in an early 500 color.  I believe that this example is -51-Moss Green.  It has that distinctive soft plastic smell.  The housing is undated.  There are a few tiny nicks and scratches in the plastic consistent with age and use.  There is also some unevenness in the coloration of the housing that shows up in the flash photos.  This is not apparent to the naked eye. I think this housing was probably buffed in the past and some spots were missed.  It is very likely that this would buff out, but it is not really noticeable except in the flash photos.  Please look at the photos closely to get a better idea of the condition of this telephone.  The handsets, for some reason, are painted to match, rather than molded in the same plastic.  The handset on this phone has a couple of chips on the transmitter cap, and also a scratch on the transmitter end.  Otherwise, the paint is in excellent condition, as can be seen in the photos.  The hookswitch plungers are solid, not hollow as found on other colored 302s.  The dial is not the expected 5J, but rather is the later 6D dial.  This particular dial has been professionally refurbished.  The dial card is a modern reproduction.  I believe that the coiled cloth receiver cord is original to this set.  The cord looks almost like new.  Inside the transmitter, the insulation on the cord conductors is starting to deteriorate. The mounting cord is a 500 series type cord that I think someone has added.  Since the color matches, I have left it on.  It is an extra-long 3-conductor cord. 

Inside, the telephone is very clean.  This telephone HAS NOT BEEN TESTED, and its ACTUAL WORKING CONDITION IS UNKNOWN.  These unusual, soft-plastic colored WE 302s are quite rare.  Don't miss out on your opportunity to add this hard-to-find telephone to your collection.  This telephone will be very well packed and shipped via USPS Priority Mail.  Please note that THIS IS A FIVE DAY AUCTION.  BID WITH CONFIDENCE!  NO RESERVE!"

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

nolan613

I was looking at that phone the other day. Should have known everything I was curious about would be explained here.
Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

Jon Kolger

I have to say that I am surprised by the lack of interest in these sets.  This is the third one I've put on ebay and they just don't generate much activity.  These are especially rare 300 series sets, but will possibly sell for less than a standard green thermoplastic set.  This one seems to be practically NOS, with very little wear to the handset, and the coiled cord is hardly stretched out at all. Let me get down off my soapbox now...We'll see what happens...

unbeldi

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 21, 2017, 05:50:58 PM
I have to say that I am surprised by the lack of interest in these sets.  This is the third one I've put on ebay and they just don't generate much activity.  These are especially rare 300 series sets, but will possibly sell for less than a standard green thermoplastic set.  This one seems to be practically NOS, with very little wear to the handset, and the coiled cord is hardly stretched out at all. Let me get down off my soapbox now...We'll see what happens...

I agree with you.  People are simply ignorant about most of telephone history, and most aren't even interested.  They simply want what most others want.
One can only appreciate these with knowledge of history and of materials.  But frankly, when even experienced collectors just call plastics either "soft plastic", "hard plastics", and bakelite, not much should be expected.

You call it NOS, I don't think a refurbished set should not be called that.  It was not made "new", only the housing was new, and possibly replacement parts, cords and often the dial. 6D dials were still being made for the ivory and black 354s until the end of 1955.  Their purpose was similar to the 5302 sets for black sets, only to help fill the demand for color telephones, while the color 500-sets were just ramping up, but many good 302 parts were returned to the shops.

HarrySmith

I was surprised also. I have to agree that most people have no idea what these phones are. They have no idea what a soft plastic 302 is or what it represents. The fact that the handset is painted probably turned off some also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

I kind of agree that some phones are simply collectible or expensive because those are the phones that the collecting community almost expects you to collect. For awhile, Pekin Red 302s were like that, and decent examples were even selling for $1000. There's nothing specifically special about them. They're cool-looking, and pretty rare, but shouldn't be selling for that kind of money.

It almost seems like there's some sort of peer pressure in the collecting community that some of the earlier colored 302s (such as Pekin Red and Dark Blue) should be selling for more than they would realistically be worth. 302s are also probably the most collectible phones that fit in both the 'older' generation (1940s style and older) and 'newer' generation (500, 1500, Princess, and Trimline) collections. Soft Plastic 500s and models within the 500 family are also a little out of control in terms of price (although I love Soft 500s dearly... ::) )

Phones like the 1500 series are fairly expensive and historically significant, so the price range for them makes sense. In my eyes, phones like the Princess really should be going for more money. I think collectors just don't want to tell their friends they own a group of phones called "Princesses". :-[
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

The color soft plastic 302s were very similar to the color thermoplastic telephones except for the painted matching F1s.  Side by side there were tough to spot, the exception being the red soft plastic that Jon sold a few weeks ago. These were the color of a red 500 set and NOT Pekin red.  This is a desirable set.  The green and the ivory are very similar to the thermoplastic.  Rumors or an old Rose and Blue, but I have never seen one. There is no documentation one these great sets. No BSPs, just a really cool piece of undocumented Bell history.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 21, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
The color soft plastic 302s were very similar to the color thermoplastic telephones except for the painted matching F1s.  Side by side there were tough to spot, the exception being the red soft plastic that Jon sold a few weeks ago. These were the color of a red 500 set and NOT Pekin red.  This is a desirable set.  The green and the ivory are very similar to the thermoplastic.  Rumors or an old Rose and Blue, but I have never seen one. There is no documentation one these great sets. No BSPs, just a really cool piece of undocumented Bell history.....Doug

They are all thermoplastic, with the exception of the Bakelite handsets.

A thermoplastic material is a material that can be molded, and remolded, by heating.
Bakelite on the other hand is a thermoset, and does not soften by heating, and cannot be remolded.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 21, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
Rumors or an old Rose and Blue, but I have never seen one. There is no documentation one these great sets. No BSPs, just a really cool piece of undocumented Bell history.....Doug
I don't understand what you mean by "rumors" and "no documentation".  Aren't these colors pictured in unbeldi's avatar?

Doug Rose

Mr Bell...The phones in Karl's avatar are not the later soft plastic phones with the painted handsets. Soft plastic 302s were made for a very short time with painted handsets. No BSPs. Rumors of the Blue and Old Rose with painted handsets, but I have never seen a picture of one. As you can see, the Red is the Keeper....totally different color. That is what I mean.

The last one is a green with a painted handset I used to own....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Here is where it gets again dicy with improper, non-sensical terms such as "soft plastic".

Bell System documentation clearly explains the plastic of 500 sets as being Tenite II  (2), which was the early Eastman trade name for what later was called Tenite Butyrate,  most commonly called "CAB" in the plastics industry.  It is Cellulose Acetate Butyrate.

After the conclusion of factory-manufacture of colored 300-series desk sets in mid-year 1954, probably with the end of the second quarter, while some of the color 500-sets were still lacking matching-color dial bezels, cordage, and some even handsets, WECo embarked on a project to produce colored 302s and 304s using 500-set plastics in probably all of the eight colors of the 500-series.  However, only red, green, and ivory have been observed it appears.  Any other color is supported only be those rumors.   However, there is at least one BSP that does support this, and that is for two-tone 300s, with black Bakelite handsets in all eight colors.

Enter,
BSP C38.015 i1 5707 Station Sets—Magneto; Selection for General Use

This BSP actually provides formal definition for 500-colored 307 sets in 1957 !   However, as far as we know, none have ever surfaced.

Since the BSP were written in New York, but the sets were actually assembled in the distributing houses according to telco orders, it is conceivable that they simply made the decision that the handsets should be painted the same color as the housing, just like they were doing already for the 202 Continentals, which are documented in the BSP.  Indeed, the handsets of the ivory (Code 50) CAB-302s are slightly off-color and have the identical color of the ivory 202s (–4 ivory).

unbeldi

There exists in fact more documentation, than just the BSP for 307 local battery sets in two-tone 500-color CAB plastics.

In 1955 (!), The PT&T Co issued an Appendix BSP to Section C30.011 covering ordering and billing policies and procedures, with modifications to cover the newly available TWO-TONE 300-type telephone sets.  This is first-hand documentation for the existence and the timing of these sets.

The Appendix states first of all, that customers can still order, if practicable, telephone sets in any color desired by the customer.

- However, the four old metallic hues (old brass, statuary bronze, etc.) would no longer be provided for new installations.

- When colored 300-type sets are not available, the customer receives a 500-type set.

- TWO-TONE 300 and 500 telephone sets are available, in the colors as specified in C30.011, which means in ivory (–50A), green (–51A), gray (–52A), and red (–53A).

- When two-tone sets are ordered for other than Zone 5 installations, they should be specified as a 300-type set.  Explicitly stated is the limited supply of these, and that this is "to meet current requirements".  So this means, it was not a long-term program.  This is supported by the fact that all of these observed sets were apparently assembled in 1955.  For Zone 5 sets, the BSP instructs to use black 500-sets, and swap a colored housing onto it.

- The two-tone sets are not supplied from factory stocks.

References:
-BSP Section C30.011,  Appendix 1, Issue D,  4-29-55-S TPT&TCo, Colored Station Sets — Plant Administration
-BSP Section C30.011, Issue 6, December 1953, AT&T Co Standard, Colored Station Sets