News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Busy week of sign acquisition!!!

Started by Sargeguy, October 28, 2017, 09:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A couple of sign purchases off of eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272905648521

1908 pattern PTT "TELEPHONE" sign 12x16"
This one is the evil twin of the white PAY STATION sign rfkimba posted a while back.  The design looks intact and the rust stains will need to be addressed. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152759679515

1921 pattern AT&T generic 11x11" flange
This one was purchased with a best offer of $125 plus $8 shipping.  It is in excellent shape on the front with one tiny ding and a dribble mark from when it was made.  The back has a couple of minor dings and scratches as well as a rust stain-nothing serious.   The flange is missing a good chunk of porcelain on both sides.

1908 pattern Wisconsin "pointing hand" sign
Last but not least I acquired this beauty from wds.  The 1908 Wisconsin with pointing hand, like all "hand" signs. is very collectible.  This one does not have any major defects, but it has lots of moderate and minor ones.  Interestingly the sign was made by the Lafayette company of Ohio, an uncommon manufacturer
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Great sign at a good price. How in the world did I miss seeing that one?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Quote from: Fabius on October 28, 2017, 09:33:43 PM
Great sign at a good price. How in the world did I miss seeing that one?

The two eBay signs were not up for very long, the ATT was a couple hours old when I got it and the PTT had just been listed.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The Southern California Telephone Company sign is the actual "evil twin" of the PTT sign.  This type of sign, with the '08 bell and the word "TELEPHONE" underneath is uncommon.  PAY STATION, BOOTH, and PUBLIC TELEPHONE are more common but these are the only two that I know of that use this design.  Note that the flange orientation is opposite on each sign. 

There is a '21 Bell version of the PTT sign as well
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Two rare signs with the '08 bell instead of of '21 bell.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

The Wisconsin sign after some cleaning
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409