"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Touch tone princess won't dial out

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 20, 2013, 09:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

I have this 1978 touch tone princess that won't dial out, when I got it the jack (handset) was not installed but I installed it looking at another. And I also compared the wiring from a semi unhooked keypad but it won't dial out, polarity seems fine. Could you please tell me which wires go to wich terminal so I can double check?

Also shown in last picture is the mod. jack that seems to not fit or am I just not installing it right? Is their a special jack for the princess phone?

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 20, 2013, 09:58:20 PM
Hello,

I have this 1978 touch tone princess that won't dial out, when I got it the jack (handset) was not installed but I installed it looking at another. And I also compared the wiring from a semi unhooked keypad but it won't dial out, polarity seems fine. Could you please tell me which wires go to wich terminal so I can double check?

Also shown in last picture is the mod. jack that seems to not fit or am I just not installing it right? Is their a special jack for the princess phone?

Thanks,
Ben

That looks like a 616D jack. You need a 616P for a Princess.

Dial:
Orange-Black to C
Green to F
Black to RR
Blue to B
White to GN
White-Blue to S
Red-Green to R
Red to 6

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Update: You can use 5 instead of S since S doesn't have a screw. In any case, the white-blue dial wire goes to the same spare terminal as one white receiver wire and the red hook-switch wire.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 20, 2013, 10:06:12 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 20, 2013, 09:58:20 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Ben

That looks like a 616D jack. You need a 616P for a Princess.

Dial:
Orange-Black to C
Green to F
Black to RR
Blue to B
White to GN
White-Blue to S
Red-Green to R
Red to 6

Okay thanks for the information on the phone jack.

Now, no dial tone, but I can push the buttons and get sounds.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 20, 2013, 10:18:52 PM
Update: You can use 5 instead of S since S doesn't have a screw. In any case, the white-blue dial wire goes to the same spare terminal as one white receiver wire and the red hook-switch wire.

Okay thanks, I put a screw in. Then just disregard my last post.

Works great!!

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Are you hearing 2 tones for every button--a low tone and a high tone? Also, the black wire on B and the black wire on RR appear to be touching, but it's difficult to tell in a 2-dimensional photo. Otherwise, it appears to be wired correctly.

With these older dials, you can compare the pitch of each tone by pushing 2 buttons together, in the same row (1 and 2, 0 and #, etc) or same column (1 and 4, 5 and 8, etc.) You should hear just the one tone common to both buttons.

Do the same on a second (known working) phone at the same time. See if the tones sound the same on both phones, or one may be lower or higher (off frequency). Just as on a piano: the upper notes have 3 strings for each, but you hear it as one if the piano is tuned correctly. Same here.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 20, 2013, 10:32:34 PM
Are you hearing 2 tones for every button--a low tone and a high tone? Also, the black wire on B and the black wire on RR appear to be touching, but it's difficult to tell in a 2-dimensional photo. Otherwise, it appears to be wired correctly.

With these older dials, you can compare the pitch of each tone by pushing 2 buttons together, in the same row (1 and 2, 0 and #, etc) or same column (1 and 4, 5 and 8, etc.) You should hear just the one tone common to both buttons.

Do the same on a second (known working) phone at the same time. See if the tones sound the same on both phones, or one may be lower or higher (off frequency). Just as on a piano: the upper notes have 3 strings for each, but you hear it as one if the piano is tuned correctly. Same here.

Poplar1,

Sorry to be confusing by keeping up my second post, but I figured out.

It works great!

Now I just need to find a jack and it will be ready for use.
Ben