"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Rose Beige Making MMMMMMM sound

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 31, 2013, 11:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

As I was restoring my 1955 Rose Beige Phone, I forgot to test it, so I hook up a test line cord (didn't come with one) and I get a MMMMMMMMM sound (not hummmmm).

It does ring and will make dial pulse sounds which makes me guess its a simple wiring issue. A picture of the network will be posted.

As JeorgeAmaly woud say (correct me if I'm wrong on user) what were you doing on the day it was built? It was built on 12/13/1955.

Thank you Very Much,
Ben

G-Man

You did not state whether you had dial tone but we will assume you do not.

Check the pulsing contacts on the dial to make certain they are closed when it is at rest.

Also, you can temporarily move the slate-white wire from the F terminal to the RR terminal.

You should then have dial tone. Since this will by-pass the dial, quickly depress the hook-switch to remove dial tone. Then check to see if the hum is still there. If all is well recheck the dial pulsing contacts.

G-Man

Here is a wiring diagram from the TCI Library for you to check your wiring.

Quote from: G-Man on September 01, 2013, 12:09:03 AM

Check the pulsing contacts on the dial to make certain they are closed when it is at rest.

Also, you can temporarily move the slate-white wire from the F terminal to the RR terminal.

You should then have dial tone. Since this will by-pass the dial, quickly depress the hook-switch to remove dial tone. Then check to see if the hum is still there. If all is well recheck the dial pulsing contacts.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on September 01, 2013, 12:09:03 AM

Okay,

Thank you G-Man, I will check the dial again. I guess I forgot that is usually the issue.

And yes, no dial tone.

I should be able to fix it tommarow.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Allright,

I tested it by moving the slate wire to f to bypass that did not give me dial tone.

I then readjusted the dial gears, I'l post a picture so if you can tell me if their is anything wrong. The cam is as far as it will go to the contacts.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Wait,

When I moved the Yellow wire from R to F and then I rotated the dial to zero I got dial tone.

So would that mean that my dial is backwards? Or incorrectly wired?

Ben

poplar1

Moving the slate-white hookswitch wire FROM F to RR bypasses the dial pulse contacts. This is the way non-dial 500s are wired.  F is the terminal with the hook-switch wire and the blue dial wire. RR has just the green dial wire. Note that this is RR and not R.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on September 01, 2013, 12:07:34 PM
Moving the slate-white hookswitch wire FROM F to RR bypasses the dial pulse contacts. This is the way non-dial 500s are wired.  F is the terminal with the hook-switch wire and the blue dial wire. RR has just the green dial wire. Note that this is RR and not R.

Okay, I think I'm getting the symptoms you described. I now have dial tone,  and ringing still but  still wont dial out.

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

If you bypassed the dial pulse contacts, then no, it won't dial out! However, if you now have dial tone (with the hook-switch lead on RR instead of F), that probably means that the pulsing contacts are not touching, or that either the green dial wire or blue dial wire is defective.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on September 01, 2013, 12:21:38 PM
If you bypassed the dial pulse contacts, then no, it won't dial out! However, if you now have dial tone (with the hook-switch lead on RR instead of F), that probably means that the pulsing contacts are not touching, or that either the green dial wire or blue dial wire is defective.

Ah, okay,

Good news is I have an extra contact cluster I can screw on. Lemme try that.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay,

I screwd on a known good dial contacts and it still won't break dial tone. They seem to be touching but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure I have the contacts right, though a short presentation on how the dial contacts pulse on my phone, will be posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC68vx3gGqo

Ben

poplar1

Did you move the hookswitch wire back to F?

southernphoneman

ben I looked at the photo of the rotary,take a look at the photo and notice that the little plastic cam is in the wrong location,carefully pry that up and position roundish part at about 10 o clock(that is what it is supposed to be when at rest)and it may help.good luck, southernphoneman.

ben, here is a photo that I borrowed from another post to show you what I mean, I have an arrow pointing to the little cam and the contact

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on September 01, 2013, 01:07:06 PM
Did you move the hookswitch wire back to F?

Which hook switch wire? The yellow one?

Right now,

Blue and green dial wires on F

Yellow HS wire on RR.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on September 01, 2013, 01:10:59 PM
ben I looked at the photo of the rotary,take a look at the photo and notice that the little plastic cam is in the wrong location,carefully pry that up and position roundish part at about 10 o clock(that is what it is supposed to be when at rest)and it may help.good luck, southernphoneman.

SPM,

Thank you for the photo I will try to compare and that just might fix it.

Ben