"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Volume too low in WE500 transmiter-It gets worse

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 01, 2013, 11:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello everybody,

I see this problem has been discussed in different phones but I haven't seen in on a 500. Wen I talk on my 1962 Beigh Western Electric people are having trouble hearing me. I check the transmitter and changed it out and tested it on another phone and it was loud and clear and checked another transmitter in my 1962 beigh phone and the other known good transmitter was low in volume. What I'm saying is both of the transmitters are good. None of the contacts were broken and I'm now wondering if their is a problem inside the phone.

I talked to a man who said maybe the hook switch contacts are stuck, and the plunger only goes up about 3/4 of the height it should come up. So I'm wondering if that's the issue and how do I fix it?

Anyone have any other ideas like possible incorrect wiring, the rest of the phone works perfectly.

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

The transmitter should be connected directly to R and B on the network. It does not go through the hook switch.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 01, 2013, 02:55:47 PM
The transmitter should be connected directly to R and B on the network. It does not go through the hook switch.

Okay so that isn't part of the problem.

Why I thought it would be, if you rotate the dial a bit the volume lowers..

Ben

G-Man

Actually when you rotate the dial it should mute all sounds in the receiver.

If it only lowers the volume then the contacts with the white wires on the dial should be cleaned with a piece of paper and possibly adjusted.

It may be a good idea to check the wiring, in general, of you set.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 01, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on August 01, 2013, 03:16:36 PM
Actually when you rotate the dial it should mute all sounds in the receiver.

If it only lowers the volume then the contacts with the white wires on the dial should be cleaned with a piece of paper and possibly adjusted.

It may be a good idea to check the wiring, in general, of you set.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 01, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

Ben

I think your right, I was referencing another phone, but now I remember you cant hear anything.

I will look at the diagram again but seance it works I'm not sure whats wrong, should I connect up the yellow wire in line cord?

thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Ben, can you provide a picture of the wiring in your 500?

I'm sure you know that the yellow line cord wire serves no purpose if you have moved the black ringer wire from G to L1.

Is this a 4228 network or a 425-type?

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 01, 2013, 05:45:33 PM
Ben, can you provide a picture of the wiring in your 500?

I'm sure you know that the yellow line cord wire serves no purpose if you have moved the black ringer wire from G to L1.

Is this a 4228 network or a 425-type?

Sorry about that yes, I will send a photo. I always was told (3 times) that if you hook up the extra wire it improves sound quality?

Not the best picture but if anything is unclear just ask. Some times if I tighten down termanals it works but not sure what to tighten.

Ben

poplar1

Ben, everything appears to be wired correctly. These 425 networks usually work forever. I guess you should try another handset and cord.

Can you explain to me why you believe connecting the yellow lead will help?

I'm trying to remember the name of the forum member who started that rumor about the yellow or the yellow and black wires needing to be hooked up all the way to the outside NID.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 01, 2013, 06:11:33 PM
Ben, everything appears to be wired correctly. These 425 networks usually work forever. I guess you should try another handset and cord.

Can you explain to me why you believe connecting the yellow lead will help?

I'm trying to remember the name of the forum member who started that rumor about the yellow or the yellow and black wires needing to be hooked up all the way to the outside NID.

Maybe I should try to clean the contacts on the handset, I don't know if that would help. I'm guessing cords at fault though.

This person in Canada said he always connects up the extra wire for maximum sound quality. I'm not sure why that would work though as its just a wire.. Maybe so the yellow wire doesn't contact with the other red or green making.... I'm not sure though.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay, well opend up the handset again, found out red and black wires wernt connected. But now all I hear is a hummmm...

It worked before besides low volume.

Any ideas,

thanks!

poplar1

WesternElectricBen

okay, I will look for one. I don't have a unlimited stock pile, haha..

southernphoneman

ben you may just need to replace the handset cord.sometimes it may not appear bad but it could very well be that.good luck southernphoneman

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 01, 2013, 07:04:54 PM
ben you may just need to replace the handset cord.sometimes it may not appear bad but it could very well be that.good luck southernphoneman

Okay thanks, I was beginning to think that but now I'm pretty sure that is the problem.

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 01, 2013, 06:58:05 PM
okay, I will look for one. I don't have a unlimited stock pile, haha..

Can you borrow one from a known working phone? It's easier to swap a handset with the cord than just the cord, in order to see if that fixes the problem.