"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring WE 202 to 687A Subset (2/6/12)

Started by gands-antiques, February 06, 2012, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I have wired my 687A subset (with 425 network) to my 1936 WE 202 using the pictures in Bingster's hyperlink dated March 14, 2009, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.msg9309#msg9309.

The phone will ring but it will not stop ringing when the receiver is lifted and it does not get a dial tone.
I've attached a few pictures of the current wiring setup.  

Any help would sure be appreciated.  

Thanks,
Gary

jsowers

Your wiring needs to follow Bingster's 685 subset diagram inside your subset. Bingster says to not use the terminal strip and to connect directly to the network (the tallest piece with screws on top). I think if you connect the phone line and ringer straight to the network and install a jumper where he shows it, you should be working OK. You already have the phone's 4-wire mounting cord connected properly.

Let us know if you get it going. Darrin (Bingster) those are great diagrams.
Jonathan

gands-antiques

Hello,

I moved the mounting cord wires up to the L1 & L2 positions on the network and jumped the RR terminal to the L1 terminal and now the phone doesn't ring or get a dial tone ??

Thanks
Gary,

jsowers

What about the wires to the ringer? There are four. You may also want to check the wires inside the phone to make sure nothing is touching another screw. The red wires on the right may be touching a dial mounting screw--it's hard to tell.
Jonathan

gands-antiques

Hello,

I tried to wire this 202 using the instructions Bill Geurts provided http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6123.0 me with for a 5 wire for this 4 wire but I couldn't figure it out.

Bill, if you're available and wouldn't mind, I would sure appreciate it if you would provide instructions again for this 4 wire like  you provided before for the 5 wire.

** jsowers...I'm not sure about the 4 ringer wires, but they don't seem to match the picture of the 685 diagram. All of the ringer wires are connected to the terminal strip and not to the network. There is a jumper from terminal "K" on the network to terminal "L1"on the terminal strip.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

I am available, but I have a couple of committments both tonight (Modnay) and tomorrow (Tuesday).  I would be certainly willing to go over this over the phone too, but remember I am on the West Coast and this would need to be Wednesday or at your convenience afte that.  I can PM you with my phone number.

-Bill G

gands-antiques

Bill.

Thanks a lot for your offer to help with me with the wiring of this phone.  I got some help from a friend this evening and it is working great now.

I basically wired to the enclosed 685 pictures and all of the wires were removed from the strip and moved to the network and that fixed it.

Thanks again Bill!!
Gary