"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got Another AE 3-Line Phone - AE 187

Started by mienaichizu, January 14, 2009, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

This is my second AE 3-Line Phone

I have not yet tested it because the cord was cut. I have to pry it open so I can test it.
I don't know if this still works but initial analysis of the phone, the dial is not rotating. There are no cracks and chips on the plastic case. Minor discoloration is also evident especially on the handset. But overall, the phone is in fair condition. Below are some of the photos. I'll update you guys when I start restoring this phone.

In addition to the phone, I also got this red case Westclox travel clock

Dan

Are you going to try Novus 2 or auto rubbing compound or try sanding it? This is very much like my tan princess phone--that is, the discoloration. I am curious how you are going about this restoration. I am a little gun shy with mine. :-\
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

first I would try to clean it first with dish washing soap and warm water then apply with pledge furniture polish, if the scratches will not disappear then I will apply auto rubbing compound. Novus 2 is not available here in the Philippines.

Steve

I don't think I've seen one of those before. can they be used on home wiring and still have multi-line functionality? the hold feature would be nice for telemarketers! maybe some death metal music on hold? nice score, can you post pics of the restoration?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

It's interesting that each line has it's own individual hold button. 
= DARRIN =

McHeath

That is interesting about each line landing it's own hold button, what was up with that?  It's a nice looking phone, certainly looks like it has been used, but ought to clean up well.

By the way I had almost that exact little Westclox travel clock when I was a kid.  Even said "Hong Kong" on the bottom of the dial like yours.  Funny eh?

mienaichizu

Quote from: Steve on January 14, 2009, 10:50:37 PM

I don't think I've seen one of those before. can they be used on home wiring and still have multi-line functionality? the hold feature would be nice for telemarketers! maybe some death metal music on hold? nice score, can you post pics of the restoration?

It still can be used for home use, I have one that is in working order and I'm using it on my library. The multi-line function can also still be used. Once I restore this one I'll post some more pics

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on January 15, 2009, 12:27:02 AM
That is interesting about each line landing it's own hold button, what was up with that?  It's a nice looking phone, certainly looks like it has been used, but ought to clean up well.

By the way I had almost that exact little Westclox travel clock when I was a kid.  Even said "Hong Kong" on the bottom of the dial like yours.  Funny eh?

I've seen recently a movie produced during the 80's and its about the life or working women during the 80's. I've seen this kind of phone many times on that movie on front desks and secretaries desks.

The clock, yah it has this "Hong Kong" inscription at the bottom. Do Westclox produce their clocks in Hong Kong and bring it back to the States?

McHeath

I guess they did that time in history.  We used to get a lot of stuff here made in "Taiwan" or "Hong Kong", but that has faded a lot in recent years and most of our small consumer goods now seem to all made in China. 

mienaichizu

The clock, I have put it in working order, a few lubrication and cleaning brings it back to work.

The phone, I'm already in the process of dismantling it and testing, will keep you updated later, will post more pics

HobieSport

Westclox has a very long history.  And in the late 1930s to 1950s or there abouts Henry Dreyfuss designed some of the most popular Big and Baby Bens.

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on January 15, 2009, 11:06:38 PM
Westclox has a very long history.  And in the late 1930s to 1950s or there abouts Henry Dreyfuss designed some of the most popular Big and Baby Bens.

you really idolize Dreyfuss eh?

if you ask me who's my favorite modern designer? that would be Marcel Breuer
he designed many tubular furnitures that are classics today

mienaichizu

and also include Charles and Ray Eames

HobieSport

I wouldn't say I "idolize" Dreyfuss, just a healthy appreciation.:)

Here's some chairs for you Ramil:

http://tinyurl.com/9n9o34

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on January 16, 2009, 02:17:03 AM
I wouldn't say I "idolize" Dreyfuss, just a healthy appreciation.:)

Here's some chairs for you Ramil:

http://tinyurl.com/9n9o34

oh my, how I love those chairs, I only have 1 here with armrests, I use it in my office
I forgot, I also collect furniture especially chairs