"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Retrofitting ringers for SC-1243 sets

Started by RotoTech99, May 23, 2014, 10:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have found that SC straight-line ringers are scarce for 1243 sets, so here's a couple ways to retrofit a ringer into them to give the classic dual-note sound with minimal modification.

I use Federal ringers from FTR-802 magneto sets that have a biasing spring, or AE Type 45SL*. ringers.

To begin, your 1243 should have the windowless baseplate (like the one on some SC 1243's and 1248 sets). Put the ringer on the baseplate approximately where the normal S-C ringer would sit. Determine if there is area to drill mounting holes using the ringers existing mounts. If not, drill a hole in the front "heelpiece" of the ringer at the center; about where the clapper lines up at.

Drill a similar hole in the depressed center area of the base that will align with the hole in the ringer. Secure with a 6/32" screw and nut until snug. Connect ringer to C-2 and 3 on 1243 network.

Determine if ringer functions. Close up set and test ringer; if you hear a buzzer sound, you will need to add spacer washers to the housing screws to give spacing between the gongs and the housing; Use at least 2.  The dial used may also play a part in muting the ringer sound as some dials are deeper in profile than others.

For AE Type 45SL (AE #D-56548) ringer, follow the same general steps, except the portion of the heelpiece that holds the condenser must be removed to allow sufficient room in the 1243.  The early Type 45 ringer used in some AE 40's and 50's will also work as a retrofit.

The only other thing to check would be if the condenser strap on C-2 and C-1 needs to be present; If you get a good ring with it in place, it can remain. If not, remove the strap.

You may also prefer to try different gongs to obtain a dual-note tone you like.

I've retrofitted a number of 1243's this way, and find it gives a better sound than retrofitting a single-gong ringer in most cases.

RotoTech99
eburnett99@yahoo.com

unbeldi

Frankly, I have never understood the point in essentially destroying authentic historic telephones with frequency ringers and converting them to straight-line ringing, especially with foreign ringers. If one uses an authentic ringer of the same manufacturer, it makes some sense, because the phone was certainly used that way too, but my observation is that those are not plentiful at all.

Why not leave them authentic and get a frequency-adjusted ringer supply if they really have to ring, or put an external ringer box on the line, surely the latter is the most trivial.

It is way cooler to listen to an old SC set at 50 Hertz, 42 Hz, whatever, hammering away.  It only adds to the originality of a collector's display.

Doug Rose

I agree with Karl 100%, why change it? I would rather keep a phone not working with dated original parts, then replace something to make it work. If I am selling it, yes I would replace the part, but also include the defective dated part. I had a 1243 working in the phone room and I liked the way it clanked!!...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

The often cited scarcity of SL ringers for certain types of telephones is quite understandable, of course.  Most telephone lines before a certain time (1960s?) were party lines in the US,<ref?> and that applied to both the Bell Systems and the thousands of independent telephone companies.
The difference between Bell and all others was that the Bell companies chose to implement selective service by control in the office and wiring plant, rather than by issuing subscriber sets with various frequency ringers, as did the independents. Each ringer has to be tuned when manufactured and this would be costly for a large system. The Bell Systems method also had the advantage that message rate service and caller identification could be accomplished with the same method.
The independents continued with frequency ringing using a variety of frequency schemes, of which only the decimonic system used a 20 Hz ringer.  So, even in a decimonic system only 20% to a quarter of all ringers were 20 Hz ringers, and those weren't exactly alike straight-line ringers either. If one looks at the whole realm of frequency ringing, only ~6% of all ringers may have been 20Hz devices.
Naturally, true straight-line ringers were a minority for the independents.

Here is a compilation table with the manufacturing codes or type designations of the four major producers (SC, KS&S/ITT, WECo, AE) for all common frequencies:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11938.msg126866#msg126866

[PS: I moved the table to a self-standing post at the above URL]

Doug Rose

Rainy day in Boston so I went looking for some 1243s I had somewhere. I found this guy. Hooked up DT and this guy rang LOUD. Looks like a North ringer. Not sure what the Bell attachment is, but it sounded great. Not like the clanking sound I got from the old SC I had in my phone room. I am not an SC guy at all and could make one work unless David showed me how!  :-[....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

That's a typical Stomberg-Carlson straight line ringer (with an added capacitor for some reason).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.