"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 102, I Think

Started by Logan1, May 23, 2014, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on May 24, 2014, 03:55:48 PM
If it has the original 1936 number plate, it's a 149-type.

Well, I don't think the cellulose acetate laminates fade like this plate has.  Typically they turn yellow first before the numbers rub off.  This plate appears essentially white.

mentalstampede

Quote from: Logan1 on May 24, 2014, 03:17:03 PM
One last question, My Western Electric 102 - 4H dial is missing the numbers, How would that be repaired.  Thanks  Picture.

If you want to replace it with an original, Ron Christianson sold me a nice one recently.  He has a pretty good assortment, so he might even have a nice one that will match your phone's date.http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11399.0
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

poplar1

Would you mind taking a picture of the number plate, with the finger wheel removed?

If that is a 150B number plate, then it would be the only part of the phone that is not original. It seems unlikely that the numbers could "wear off" that much while the original 1936 cords remain in such good shape. I'm guessing that the entire celluloid sheet has deteriorated and broken off, leaving only a white film on the metal plate.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Besides the intact cords, there is almost no paint chipped off the cradle, and the finger wheel has never been repainted (see bare brass surrounding the hex nut). There is no excessive paint loss in the holes in the dial that might have occured with heavy use. This phone definitely has "low mileage."

It's difficult to see in the photo whether the dial is a 4H, or a 2A that has been converted to a 4H. Has the terminal to the right of BB been restamped (W marked over and changed to R)?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on May 24, 2014, 05:52:32 PM
Would you mind taking a picture of the number plate, with the finger wheel removed?

If that is a 150B number plate, then it would be the only part of the phone that is not original. It seems unlikely that the numbers could "wear off" that much while the original 1936 cords remain in such good shape. I'm guessing that the entire celluloid sheet has deteriorated and broken off, leaving only a white film on the metal plate.
That sounds like a possibility... Although the letters and numbers are still visible on that plate, and a peeling layer should have removed them entirely. I don't recall that these cellulose acetate laminates were layered, like the all plastic version of 1933. A picture will tell a thousand words.

Logan1

I think you might be right about the celluloid sheet deteriated, it was like plastic paper and I pulled some off. there is a stamp in orange ink that says4H and says 1936. Right of BB is a W.  One picture
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

Logan1

What  do you think would the orginal dial plate number would be.

unbeldi

Quote from: Logan1 on May 24, 2014, 10:11:57 PM
What  do you think would the orginal dial plate number would be.

Ah, David is right.
I can still see the original date of the plate.  It looks to have been  III 37,  which means it was made in the 3rd quarter of 1937.
So the plate was a 149B.    The only difference between a 149 and a 150 is the material it was made from.  The site I quoted (Paul-F.com) has pics and I think some explanations too.

Someone also penciled some numbers in place...

If you pull that brass colored ring off, you can remove the metal plate.

Logan1

How does the brass colored ring come off, just lift off, do not want to damage anything.

unbeldi

Quote from: Logan1 on May 25, 2014, 09:56:33 AM
How does the brass colored ring come off, just lift off, do not want to damage anything.

Just pull it out firmly, it's spring loaded in three positions to keep the number plate on securely.