News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a repro, or just something I haven't seen before

Started by wds, April 13, 2012, 02:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I can't figure out if this is a legitimate phone, or some frankenphone.  Ebay Item # 330714151632.  Has anyone seen one like this?  Western Electric 923 on the transmitter
Dave

Dan/Panther

The base throws me, the  transmitter doesn't seem to fit the base. The oak ringer doesn't appear to be WE quality. My guess Frankenphone. I could be wrong just doesn't look like WE quality. Except of course the Transmitter. the earpiece cap is also missing from the receiver.
I'm not the early WE expert so take it with a grain of salt. Could be a rare phone but I don't think so. The bottom base cap also appears to be soldered on, definitely not the way they were put together.
One more point to ponder, WE stamped the back of the wooden cases with model numbers it doesn't appear the case on this example. Screws look cheesey.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Also check this link. It is what the ringer box should look like. Notice the much higher quality.
D/P

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6763.0

wds

I think that's just corrosion on the bottom of the base.  I did notice that the base and the rest of the phone have aged and the brass colors are different.  Also, the phone would have been black originally, so I'm guessing that the black paint was removed form the stick when the large base was added.  I thought I had seen an example of this large base on this forum before, but can't find the thread. 
Dave

Dan/Panther

Yes I think you are correct about the corrosion.
Never thought about it. Still several red flags. The only reason I mentions these, is I got taken from an early Stick that was very convincingly antiqued, and looked original, but it was made new in Korea.

D/P

wds

Seller is not willing to remove the bottom cover to take a picture.  That's the final red flag for me.

Dave

Dan/Panther

The earliest WE candlestick was the 20b (1904). Notice the base is very much consistent with later version of their brand candlesticks. Also notice the knurled knob. So without a doubt I would say at least the base is NOT WE.
D/P

AE_Collector

Looks like an AE #7 Base to me. The two that I have are made of brass.

Terry

wds

I just realized the hook arm is on the right side, instead of the left.  The perch is unmarked, and the tabs are missing on the top of the stem, and the bottom.   If the base is in fact an AE, that would explain the missing tab on the bottom of the stem, and if the perch is a reproduction, then that would explain the missing tab on the top of the stem.  Maybe this phone is a mix of WE, AE and repro parts.  Has anyone ever heard of a 923 transmitter?   Bidding is up to $134!
Dave

Phonesrfun

Not to mention missing the receiver cap, and probably some receiver pieces too.  I have not heard of a 923. but that doesn't mean much.
-Bill G