News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Properly test transmitter and receivers

Started by ke6rwj, April 18, 2012, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ke6rwj

I have a type 51 Dutch PTT Rijen phone,  I need to verify that the transmitter and receiver are ok..

What's the proper way to test these?  I don't have another phone to put them in..

Also the wiring on this phone is screwed up, I have a schematic but I'm concerned that it was wired wrong.. Is it possible to smoke the transmitter or receiver by hooking it up wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris

twocvbloke

The proper way, at least for me, is to use a linesman telephone, one which acts as a Local battery phone that will power a regular telephone as an intercom (E.G. between engineer & customer), that's how I test my phones before trying them on the phoneline... :)

One other way I've found that works quite well is to wire a 3.5mm Stereo audio cable to a phone and connect it to the Mic input, to test for voice transmission and dial pulsing, and into the Speaker/Headphone output, to test for audio playback (and play some home-made telephone sounds too, but that's just me!!)... :)

You can see how I did it here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6216.msg76263#msg76263

Just use something like Audacity to record your transmitter, aswell as dial, testing, and any audio player to play back speech, music or sounds to test the receiver... :)

dsk

Quote from: ke6rwj on April 18, 2012, 08:26:01 AM
I have a type 51 Dutch PTT Rijen phone,  I need to verify that the transmitter and receiver are ok..

What's the proper way to test these?  I don't have another phone to put them in..

Also the wiring on this phone is screwed up, I have a schematic but I'm concerned that it was wired wrong.. Is it possible to smoke the transmitter or receiver by hooking it up wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Since this is your first post, I just have to guess; you don't have lots of tools and testequipment, so we start on the basic level. 
If you get a 4.5V battery and some pieces of wire and a pair of metal paperclips we are ready.  The paperclips are suitable to connect the wires to the battery.  With such battery you cant fry anything, but it is good enough to make the phone work.

Connecting the receiver (earpiece) to the battery you should hear clicks when connecting and disconnecting. (The receiver works!) Then let the current flow from the battery trough the receiver, trough the transmitter (microphone) and back to the battery other pole (polarity doesent matter)  Now you should hear the sound in the receiver when speaking into the transmitter or tapping on the transmitter.  (If the first test failed and the receiver's not working (unlikely) you could substitute it by using a headset from some cellpone or stereo device)

Remember to disconnect the battery. (It lasts longer, and the transmitter may live longer too.)

Good luck

dsk