News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern 20AL(?) with OST receiver

Started by NorthernElectric, March 12, 2016, 09:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I came across this phone for sale that I'm thinking about inquiring about; looks like a 20AL with an OST receiver.  I know very little about OSTs; does this one look legit, and if so, what would a phone like this go for?  It also comes with what looks like a #43 ringer box.  Anything to watch out for with those receivers?  It's about 2-1/2-3 hours drive to look at it so I want to be sure that it might be worth my while.  The photos were low res and I resampled 200% but I hope they will do.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

Cliff   ..... It certainly looks like a N20-AL.         Hard to be 100% certain from the photos that the receiver is an actual 122W.      But a working OST 122W receiver can range in price from $75.00 to $125.00, depending on whether or not there's any damage to the shell.     The shell itself consists of 3 pieces.       It's got a bottom cap and top cap and a tapered center sleeve.       It's quite common for the top cap to have chips around the circumference from hitting the receiver hook when the user hangs up the receiver.     The receiver windings, of which there are 2, were wound with fairly thin magnet wire at the factory, and because of the fact these receivers are "OLD", the magnet wire can deteriorate over the years, to the point the circuit is broken.     
I made a machine to re-wind them, but it's still a big job.
I find it odd that the transmitter was upgraded to a "bulldog" transmitter, which used an "F-1" transmitter cartridge, and yet the receiver is still an old 122W OST type.        The receiver is older than the desk stand itself, assuming that it's not a N.E. & Mfg. Co. Ltd., set that's been re-painted in black.       If it is, it's a 20-B, rather than a 20-AL.    N.E. & Mfg. Co. Ltd.,  desk stands were nickel plated.      Without the 122W OST receiver, a N.E. Co. Ltd., 20-AL desk stand is worth about $50.00 in my opinion.

Jeff Lamb

NorthernElectric

Thanks, Jeff; exactly the sort of info I was looking for.  If I decide to make the drive to look at it, I will update.
Cliff

Jack Ryan

I can't tell if it is a 20AL or 20S either - a picture of the perch would help. An older 20S might have a side retaining screw rather than one in the centre on the underside.

The move from the 20B and 20S to the 20PC and 20AL was pushed by the concerns of bare terminals and live frames and the shock hazard that presented. Litigation had already begun in the USA where subscribers (or their estate) had alleged injury through electrical shock. For that reason, organisations with strong policies in place (that they actually followed) such as NE and Bell Canada would generally not fit an OST receiver to a 20AL or other insulated frame desk stand.

Jack

NorthernElectric

Here's a photo of the back of the transmitter cup and top of perch; typical of N20-AL, I think?
Cliff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 12, 2016, 09:37:38 PM
Here's a photo of the back of the transmitter cup and top of perch; typical of N20-AL, I think?

A little lower and we can read the ID from the back of the perch. But yes, it looks like a 20AL and a 20S

Jack

Sargeguy

The easiest explanation some sort of Frankenphone.  Either it is a 20-AL and the receiver was added later or it is a 20-S and the transmitter is was added.  I think the more likely scenario is that the 122 was added later.  I agree with what Jeff said on value.  OST receiver prices have been pretty reasonable lately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Stubbypylon

I would be interested to know if the receiver had any markings around the rim of the cap.
Craig Stanowski

NorthernElectric

Thanks all.  Craig, I have emailed the seller to ask about receiver markings.
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Stubbypylon on March 13, 2016, 09:50:52 AM
I would be interested to know if the receiver had any markings around the rim of the cap.

The seller replied that the receiver is marked Western Electric.
Cliff

Sargeguy

"Western Electric" on a receiver cap is fairly uncommon.  I only have one.  They usually say "American Bell Telephone Company" or nothing at all.  Markings around the cap can be hard to read-he might be talking about the cap. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Stubbypylon

Yes "Property of - American Bell; Northern Electric or Bell Canada" would be the markings on a pony cap (if any markings at all).  Maybe they have the wrong cap installed.
Craig Stanowski

NorthernElectric

I took a look at this phone yesterday.  There are no markings on the receiver cap, the markings are on the top cap.  There was a chunk out of the top cap that I didn't see in any of the photos.  The perch is marked 20-S but no sign of nickel anywhere.  The worn black finish looked like possibly japan.  I didn't buy it thinking the phone and receiver were still a Northern/Western mismatch.
Cliff

poplar1

20-S and 20-B are from the same time period, but 20-S was originally painted black and 20-B was originally nickel plated.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

poplar1 is correct, but the 20-S designation was around longer than the 20-B was.  It is also much easier to find a 20-B with the earlier style perches, and patent dates on the perch than a 20-S.  I have found several 20-Bs that were re-stamped 20-S, and it seems that as nickel fell out of fashion the 20-S superseded the 20-B. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409