News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the fax!

Started by gpo706, June 04, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

I did a little rooting around the bay for fax machines, the first went for a fiver, but untested.

I'm gonna regret this I can tell...

The second went for £15, BUT, they say it is working, so bonus on that account.

The first is described as a "Panasonic KX-F2200E-W" so its like the first picture below, but in cream colour.

The second (they assured me it is working), is illustrated in the 2nd picture, the model number wasn't specified so I have no idea as yet.

I like the side handset design, it's reminiscent of my King Dictograph or my ITT multi-line key phone.

Now, the plan is to connect the two through my Pana 616's and see if they can fax each other, if they don't then I'm well and truely faxed...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on June 04, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

Now, the plan is to connect the two through my Pana 616's and see if they can fax each other, if they don't then I'm well and truely faxed...

They should be able to. I had my Sharp fax connected to my Minimaster 3 along with my computer fax modem, and I could fax into the computer and use the OCR function of winfax to turn it into text. Quite handy especially as most fax machines will take about 10 pages in the sheet feeder.

gpo706

Owain - can you elaborate about how you got your fax to speak to a PC?

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on June 05, 2011, 09:50:07 AM
Owain - can you elaborate about how you got your fax to speak to a PC?

Fax machine on ext 21.

Fax modem on ext 22.

Winfax (or similar) running on PC. Windows Fax Software for XP

Insert papers into fax machine, dial 22 and press send.

Fax modem on 22 rings incoming. Fax software pops up - click on 'Answer' and fax modem receives fax. Fax appears in fax software inbox.

Just like faxing across the PSTN although it's across a PABX. You're limited to about 200dpi greyscale but that's ample for OCR'ing clear typed text.

Fax modem may not auto-answer on manual ringing from a PMBX unless you are quite precise cadencing the ringing key.

This was cutting edge in 1995!  :o  And most of the kit to do it is still under my bed  ??? ??? ??? ???

gpo706

I'm finished with Gates and his Windows, on Ubuntu now, but no doubt someone has an equivalent so will give it a shot, cheers Owain.

Scot

gpo706

The 2200 came first, and needs rolls of thermal paper, so been in touch with a seller on the bay, but even he doesn't know if it will fit, the cardboard roll fits the dimensions he's selling (thermal paper) and he asked if there was a film needed, can't see one when the hood is up so I assume not.

The guy asked for an estimate of how old it was, no idea so sent him the pic of the black one from this thread!

It's very sun-weathered on the main fascia, but I'm not gonna attempt a strip down to bleach it at this juncture, thanks very much.

Naturally, as we all know the handset hadn't sunburnt at all, being a nice slate-grey, another testament to the ageing properties of different plastics...

I was very disappointed that the 5 and hash keys didn't seem to do anything, so one assumed it was an absolute turkey, then after a day in the 25 degree central heating of my room they suddenly came alive again, works as phone now fine, so just need to get the consumables for it and try it through the Pana 616.

gpo706

Mr. Black is the more modern one, he eats plain paper, and is a KX-FP155, he also needs ink sheets to do anything, I've tried a couple of copies but he is not yet happy with my ministrations as yet.

The most disturbing thing about Mr. Black is he talks to me in a bland American accent everytime I push a wrong button or mis-feed the paper, scary guy, never had backchat from a fax before!

I think Mr. Cream is his laconic big brother, and Mr. Black is the wee mouthy sibling...

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on June 13, 2011, 06:28:43 PM
Mr. Black is the more modern one, he eats plain paper, and is a KX-FP155, he also needs ink sheets to do anything,

... and those ink sheets cost money, and get used up even if you are printing blank pages.

any chance of a .wav file of Mr Black ?