"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring a TP6 type dial into a WE307....

Started by RotoTech99, December 23, 2020, 05:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I am wiring a dial into a WE 307 that is like the AE or Telephonics dial that the TP6 uses, and I cant identify which wire in it would be the equivalent of the black condenser wire going to the dial, and need some help, please.

I know in a TP6 or 302 what would be the black condenser wire, but its not as easy with my 307; I've got the other coonections figured out to the dial, except that one....

Can someone please tell me what would be the equivalent of the black condender lead in my 307? I'll be very thankful and appreciative of whomever can help.

BTW: I don't know if anyone has ever done this with a WE 307, but I thought it might be interesting to try it, and see what turned out... Also, I thought it'd be a "first of sorts".

And there is of course my main reason: I didn't have a WE #6 dial on hand, so I use what i knew I had on hand.

Please let me know, and Merry Christmas to the CRPF! :)

Thank you, RotoTech99

markosjal

No idea what a TP6 dial is or how it differes. I know AE had sever different sets of contact sets  some even emulated WE/NE dials.

Th major diffeence between MOST AE dials and WE dials is if the receiver is sunted or opened while dialing

Here is a COMMON AE dial installed in my 307

Be sure to tape and store BBlue/Brn
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RotoTech99

Dear Markojsal:

Hello, here are the pictures of the back of the dial  I'm using in my 307, along with a picture of the dial configuration from a TP-6A wiring diagram.

As I mentioned before, my 307 is set up to work without batteries, and I've left one terminal empty on the dial.

It's working well, but any extra advice/feedback is always welcome.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

Babybearjs

WHY??? A TP-6 was just a military version of the 302... it used a WE dial, NOT a AE. stay with original parts!
John

RotoTech99

Dear Babybearjs:

The military 302 (TP-6) to my understanding used an AE similar dial in addition to the standard WE dial, so I don't see it the way you do as to your statement in your post, but I do appreciate your feedback.

The idea was largely an experiment on my part, but apparently wasn't the only one with the idea as Markojsal has put an AE dial in a 307 of his.

I didn't have a #6 or #5 dial on hand, so I worked with what I had available to me.

The only other thing I'm trying is seeing what it looks like with a1 pc.AE finger wheel until I can get the metal card retainer disc for its number card holder; after I get that, I'll put my metal fingerwheel back on it.

Surprisingly, I've already gotten some good feedback about how it looks

And just so you know, and I may've said this before to you in regard to a couple other projects of mine I do try to use original parts when I have or can get them.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

markosjal

Babybearjs
For the "Puritans" on this form that think I make a "Frankenstein" by putting an AE dial on a WE Phone let me tell you that I havve been to MANY rural locations around Oregon that has smalcompanies Like Mollala Rural Telephone Co and Coloton Tel Co, or BeaverCreek Telco to name only a few , that often mixe parts in this way! I recall seeing trimiles that were a Mix of SC and ITT or WE  and SC, and yes even mixes of AE and We parts .Can some of you guys please stop being such puritans ! This is preceisely why many of these components like dials were interchangable.

Oh and OMFG I a missing a screw on that dial!

BTW you are "doing it right" if you are enjoying it , even if building a Frankenstein

RotoTech99
That AE dial looks like it has one more set of contacts than my AE dial . I assume it is like most AE Dials and shunts wen dialing not when at rest . If that is the case . Forget the WE dial in the diagram it is different in when it  than likely.

RotoTech99

Dear Markojsal:

Hi, I agree with you! I've seen plenty of mixed component phones, and I've put together a "few" in my time also.

Did you see the pictures I posted in this topic regarding the AE dial I'm using..
what do you think of it?

The only thing I'm waiting for now is the card retainer disc for my number card ring for my AE metal fingerwheel; I didn't have one on hand at present.

I'm planning to put the metal one back on once I get the disc.

Please let me know what you think of the pics.

BTW: I've put a pic in this post of my 307 as it is presently "set up"! I did a similar thing with a 302, but kept the original dial and added a open center fingerwheel to it.

I thought about keeping the 1 PC. AE fingerwheel on it, what do you think I should do?

Thanks,
RotoTech99

markosjal

Here is mine

RotoTech99

Dear Markojsal:

Wow, those are pretty good, I like them!

What did you think of my using a clear 1 pc. AE fingerwheel; It wasn't my first thought, but I recalled doing a similar thing with a different dial on another set, so I decided to try it..

I'm still undecided on switching  back to the metal fingerwheel, but I'll decide that later.

Believe it or not, but the housing was a similar thing; the original H7 housing was warped, so I used an H1 housing I had extra, and it fitted easily

RotoTech99

markosjal

and the difference between the H1 and H7 housings is?

RotoTech99

Dear Markojsal:

As I understand, the H7 housing was intended for the 307 because it would accommodate for the larger hookswitch and the associated components; but personally I don't see any real difference that would be  of major consequence between the H1 and H7 housings.

That was my reasons for using the H1 housing.

It fit, it accepted the components, so I used it.

RotoTech99

Babybearjs

yes, AE will fit WE phones, but are a pain to wire if you don't know the wiring layout.... remember, EA used a different color code, so it gets confusing when wiring a AE dial into another brand phone. anyway, for simplicity sake, just stay with the parts the phone was meant to use.... its just easier... plus there is a conversion chart on the AE dial being used in a WE phone... but its a pain to find sometimes... I love my 300 series phones!
John

RotoTech99

Dear Babybearjs:

When it comes to using an AE dial with another set; (WE for example), I've found it not too terribly hard to wire the dial in... I keep a few diagrams on hand for that reason.

Doing it with the 307 was kind of a first for me, due to the wiring I'll admit.

My advice would be slightly different..." For simplicity's sake, before using a different dial than the original in the set, research it a bit, and don't forget to ask the CRPF forum if all else fails." You might be suprised by the good help and feedback you'll get.

Babybearjs

there is a PDF file in the TCI library of how to do it, but I haven't played with AE dials and WE phones for over a good 10 years.... I took pictures of a 302 with a #5 dail and then with a AE dial in it.... to me, the AE dial looked silly, so I stayed with what I know.... I have a old AE beehive wall phone that I added a dial to, but the model has an older network in it and I can't get the dial wired for now... so I put the project away until later... I'm pretty much done with tinkering with phones.... I'm losing interest in the hobby because I've gotten to a point where I have no more room for phones and all my internal wiring projects are done. what else can you do with a phone system that seems to be finished....anyway, thats where I am. I've got a couple of older AE dials that I have in storage... I might fish them out one day and use them....
John