News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many date stamps?

Started by HarrySmith, December 06, 2018, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just saw this old 500 on  eBay. Originally from 1955 but has several stamps on it. It got me thinking, how many stamps have you found on a phone?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254015194100
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Every time it's "refinished" it gets a stamp.
I've had a few like that myself.
KEN

Jim Stettler

I have seen phones less than 7 years between original date and last date  with up to 4 date stamps on the base including with original. these were  pre -1960 on all dates. I think at that point in time they tested the telephone when returned from service. I think the phones with lots of dates  were from high turn-over installations.
I think the the stamp at that time was more of a "tested and meets current standards" sign off,  meaning  tested and  upgraded if needed.
On phones where the stamps have a 5+ year difference, I think those  date stamps are rebuilds .
My comments on this topic are  opinion/observation based. and are rule -of-thumb type statements.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

I think you're right Jim about the '50s.  I've seen stamps like "S1257", which I've taken to be a service in December 1957 between installs. I had a '58 500 with a similar marking in '59.  In that case the phone was mostly original but the dial had been replaced with a 95B blank and the shell was mis-matched also.  These often don't have other refurb-center marks on the base.

Refurbs, on the other hand, often have lots of black brushed-on paint with the model number and/or date painted over, changed feet, and lots of replaced parts (have to say I just don't like those much..... 😉)

I think the forum had an informal contest once to see who could find a 500 base with the most refurb stamps.....
Paul