News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1C Payphone Conversion for Home Use: Success!

Started by Ed Morris, April 21, 2020, 11:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

A month ago I posted an update when I finally go a key to open the upper housing on my WE 1C payphone.  This is a dial tone first model.

I decided to give it a try connecting it to a line.  My understanding is that no conversion is necessary other than to fix the coin relay to send quarters to the coin return or vault, whichever is preferred.  Someone had already done that with this phone as the vane is wired so that coins drop to the coin return.

I connected my phone line to L1 and L2, green to L1, red to L2, but no dial tone.  I did test the receiver and it works, so if a dial tone was present I should hear it.  Reversing green and red didn't accomplish anything.

I'm not sure where to go next as the payphone is way more complicated that anything I've worked on so far, and I haven't been able to find a diagram yet for the IC.

Any suggestions on where to start?  I can post more photos.

Ed

rdelius

I have not worked on that model paystation but those terminals on the network are tie points and do not do anything. Look for L1 and L2 connections someware else Possibly on that terminal block below the network.

Ed Morris

Thanks, that sounds like a good place to start!
Ed

RB

agreed. find the number on that network.
It will prob be the same in any phone using that network.
Then you can find a schematic for any phone using that network, and copy the wiring.
Also, if the phone has an inter connecting plug from top/outer, to bottom/back portion, chk the connecting points.
My payphone has the oval plug, and it has issues from time to time, with the same result.
post some more pics.
Regards

Ed Morris

I hope to get back on this later today.  Meanwhile, here are a couple more pictures. 

1.  An overview
2.  Inside the front assembly
3.  Upper rear
4.  Lower rear

Ed

Key2871

Assuming it's a rotary set, placing the test leads to l1 l2 may not get you dial tone.
Go to RR and C on the network that will get you dial tone if the receiver is good. RR and C are what gets power in a normal set up your just bypassing the hook switch. This should get you something in the receiver providing the chassis has not been changed wiring wise.
KEN

rcourtney

Hope this helps.  Decide If you want DTF or CF.  DTF preferred.

Set the totalizer to that mode.

Connect line to the terminals on the chassis not the network.  Ones in middle between the bell and the pink case.

Key2871

I had a 1C, and it didn't matter if it was set for DTF or CF. I got a dial tone no matter what.
I'm thinking its a wiring problem.
Do you have a schematic diagram, so you can check all the wire placements? If not I know there is a link here some where to get to see one.
KEN

rcourtney

This might help.   

Major difference is it grounded ring when initial rate inserted in CF.

Ed Morris

Hey guys, we're halfway home.

I found the two terminals mentioned by rcourtney between the bell and pink case, one marked R and the other T, which I assume stand for RING and TIP.  I connected the line in, red to R and green to T, but still dead.

Then I found the DTF jumper switch.  This phone can be set for DTF or PP.  It was set to PP, I guess that means the same as Coin First.  I switched the jumpers to DTF, and the phone came alive!

The phone will ring on an incoming call, and I can listen and speak to the calling party.  But I can't dial out.  Here's what happens:

1.  Pick up handset, hear dial tone
2.  Drop quarter in slot, hear a click or two, dial tone resumes
3.  Begin to dial number.  Dial tone still present while dialing.  About four digits into the number, a busy signal breaks in. 
4.  Hang up handset, pick up again, and line is still busy.
5.  I have to disconnect the line in to stop the busy signal.

Not sure where to go from here.  I suspect it may be something related to the DTF operation, where the coin isn't recognized.

Below are photos showing the R and T connections and the totalizer switch.
Ed

Key2871

Yes those terminals are for Tip and Ring.
Well glad you've got it working.
KEN

Ed Morris

Well, it's only half working.  I can receive incoming calls, but I can't dial out. 
Ed

poplar1

PP = PrePay. There was no dial tone (on a ground start coin line) until coin deposited.

If you cannot see the dial pulsing contacts (to make sure they open and close), perhaps you can check the wiring diagram and see where the dial connects to the network, and remove one of the pulsing contact wires to see if the dial tone goes away. I would think that he dial should operate in DTF.
----------©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©

Note for 3-slots only:
Some 3-slot prepay phones have the dial pulsing contacts shorted until 10 cents is deposited. For home use, you still have to deposit 10 cents the first time you call out, but never again since the shorting contacts remain open waiting for the 130 VDC burst from the central office that was sent to the coin relay to collect or refund the initial deposit....when the relay operated, it also closed the dial shorting contacts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rcourtney

Lets do a quick test. In the upper housing, disconnect the green wire from the dial on terminal 10.  You should not get dialtone.  If you still get dial tone check all wires using my second post wiring diagram.  If no dialtone then the dial might be bad. 

Reconnect the green wire.

rcourtney

These are the contacts that must open and close when the dial returns.

Most of the time the white rectangle (second pic) can't move about freely  because dial assembly is dirty. Or the contacts are not properly adjusted so that the white separator can sneak in between the contacts on return.