News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A red AE 35 complete and a Strowger 3 boxer?

Started by Gary Z, October 08, 2019, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

Some friends of mine (Greg and Debra) were on a recent road trip in the southwest. They know me pretty well so when they came across a box of phones at an estate sale they they sent me a picture of a box of phone parts that was for sale for $100.There were around 4 AE ringer boxes, a few handsets and what looks pink but is probably a RED AE model 35!! I told them to grab them immediately. SCORE!
Then they make their way into the garage and hanging on a nail with a wire is a 3 boxer. It's missing a few parts but the top box is clearly marked "STROWGER" with another $100 price tag. I haven't ever seen a Strowger 3 box before. I don't know if this was pieced together or if there is a chapter of Strowger that I'm not aware of....anyone have info on that? I took the bait on that one too.
They won't be back in the area for almost a week and I can barely wait to get my hands on these. I will try and post the pictures they sent me. I will take better ones when I get my grubby hands on them.

stub

Roody,
          WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Pourme

~

You (lucky) dog!

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

WOW! Nice find. That AE 35 is a hard to find phone at all, never mind in color! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

It's nice to have friends like that. Very impressive haul!

kleenax

Looks like your Red AE35 is going to prove to be in MUCH better shape than the one that I found! GREAT FIND on your part!
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20051.0;attach=211541;image
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

Quote from: Roody on October 08, 2019, 01:04:27 AM
...they came across a box of phones at an estate sale they they sent me a picture of a box of phone parts that was for sale for $100....

Very exciting. When they arrive don't forget to post photos of the other items in the box too.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Gary Z

So my friends dropped off the recent finds and I have had a little time to spend on them. The red 35 is in pretty good condition but not without issues. It could be a lot worse but there is some warping and fading, but surprisingly no cracks. Has anyone had any luck re-shaping this material that I'm not even sure what it is. I haven't even been able to find pictures of these colored 35's besides the one Ray posted. There is also a picture of the other items that came with it.I haven't spent any time cleaning those up yet, but I think I can get close to my $100 back from just selling those.

Jim Stettler

That red AE 35 is a good contender of the month even if you value it at the full $100.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Great find, I agree good contender for find of the month.h
Gary

19and41

I see that kind of age distortion with tenite parts on antique radios.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke