News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4 phones in 2 days

Started by rbouch, June 13, 2016, 03:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

I hit a dry spell lately but then things seemed to open up starting Sunday.

Found a 1966 Northern Electric aqua blue 500, a1947 NE metal 302 and British Gecophone (we think a model 1501?) on Sunday.  Then, today, my birthday present from my wife showed up early, an AE 880 speakerphone in mint condition.

All four are in the picture below, with original handset cord from the Gecophone in the foreground.  Luckily the line cord on the phone was identical to the broken handset cord so I was able to get it functioning in a couple of hours.

Does anyone know much about Gecophones? - there didn't seem to be a lot of detail out there.  Our best guess is it was made between 1955 and  1959 but we couldn't find the type of handset it had anywhere....

Matilo Telephones

Nice set of phones! Happy birthday!

I have a Gecophone and researched it a bit. To me it looks like it should look in the picture. Correct dial and handset. I did not know they came in a version called 1500. Is there a date on it somewhere?

Here is an article on the Gecophone with some more info: http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/geco.htm
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Jack Ryan

There is something strange about the transmitter cap on the Gecophone. It looks a bit like a Siemens cap but I can't see the face of it.

Usually the Gecophone has a K8xxx number.

Nice set of phones!

Jack

rbouch

Thanks
It would appear, when I follow the article link, that the handset came from a Gecophone junior because that is exactly what this one looks like, only black ( picture below)

rdelius

I think the handset should be a 164 type.Your handset handle looks correct but the desk sets have a spitcup mouthpiece.The wall sets sometimes have a flat non spitcup mouthpiece