News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Christmas...Soon...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 24, 2015, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, it's finally almost one month away from Christmas, and we are getting the tree ready to be set up tomorrow. (My sister is babysitting three girls who will be helping decorate it.) Listening to '40s and '50s Christmas music, drinking eggnog, and now with Thanksgiving break starting tomorrow, it's starting to looks--a little--like Christmas!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Babybearjs

are you getting snow where you are yet?
John

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 25, 2015, 12:28:24 AM
are you getting snow where you are yet?
We got some a couple days ago, but it's just warm enough now that it's melting. I'm sure more is on the way though! :)
Christian Petterson

Dennis Markham

Christian, that's the way to do it...put those kids to work doing something constructive! :)

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 24, 2015, 10:53:59 PM
My sister is babysitting three girls who will be helping decorate it.

jsowers

Listening to '40s and '50s Christmas music, drinking eggnog, and now with Thanksgiving break starting tomorrow, it's starting to looks--a little--like Christmas!

The music is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. I collect old Christmas records (well, there aren't any new ones, I guess). I hope you have some Bing Crosby and some Frank Sinatra to accompany your tree trimming. And Nat King Cole. What are your favorites? We always played the Great Songs of Christmas records when I was a kid. For 99 cents at the local Firestone store, they were a great bargain.

If you can get some of those digital sub-channels on TV, GetTV is running some great old Christmas specials with Bing, Perry Como and Danny Kaye tonight starting at 8:00 EST. Next Wednesday, December 2nd, they're running specials with Andy Williams and The King Family. MeTV is also running Christmas episodes at 9:00 EST every night, though this week they're Thanksgiving shows.

I remember well the anticipation waiting for Christmas specials to come on when I was a kid. In the 1960s and 70s you only had one chance to watch them and you didn't dare miss them. This year A Charlie Brown Christmas is celebrating its 50th Anniversary. That show, Rudolph and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol are my favorites. The Magoo Christmas Carol is actually a bit scary and I loved that part.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on November 25, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
Listening to '40s and '50s Christmas music, drinking eggnog, and now with Thanksgiving break starting tomorrow, it's starting to looks--a little--like Christmas!

The music is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. I collect old Christmas records (well, there aren't any new ones, I guess). I hope you have some Bing Crosby and some Frank Sinatra to accompany your tree trimming. And Nat King Cole. What are your favorites? We always played the Great Songs of Christmas records when I was a kid. For 99 cents at the local Firestone store, they were a great bargain.

If you can get some of those digital sub-channels on TV, GetTV is running some great old Christmas specials with Bing, Perry Como and Danny Kaye tonight starting at 8:00 EST. Next Wednesday, December 2nd, they're running specials with Andy Williams and The King Family. MeTV is also running Christmas episodes at 9:00 EST every night, though this week they're Thanksgiving shows.

I remember well the anticipation waiting for Christmas specials to come on when I was a kid. In the 1960s and 70s you only had one chance to watch them and you didn't dare miss them. This year A Charlie Brown Christmas is celebrating its 50th Anniversary. That show, Rudolph and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol are my favorites. The Magoo Christmas Carol is actually a bit scary and I loved that part.
We usually listen to music on Spotify, which consists of Sinatra, Crosby, even some modern stuff. We have a ton of old records (I think a couple Christmas ones) in storage, but don't have a record player to play them on. The music is also one of my favorite experiences of Christmas time, some of my best memories of Christmas involve listening to that old music!

We're also going to watch some Christmas movies in the next few weeks. White Christmas is one of my Mom's favories, so we will probably be adding a '50s movie into the mix!
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 25, 2015, 09:56:33 AM
We're also going to watch some Christmas movies in the next few weeks. White Christmas is one of my Mom's favories, so we will probably be adding a '50s movie into the mix!

I love Christmas movies too. White Christmas is great, with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney. There's a nice movie called Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh that has a big slice of the early 1950s. About a little boy who really wants a train set and a father. Also Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan is a good one, from the 1940s.

Turner Classic Movies is also airing Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank from 1957 on December 23rd. Be sure and catch that one, featuring a Mahogany Brown 500 set in Frank's apartment. It's also available on DVD. The story goes that it was filmed for TV in color and never aired and Tina and Nancy found it in Frank's movie vault. December is also the centenary of Frank Sinatra's birth. He was born on 12-12-1915.
Jonathan

electric al

Never met a phone I didn't like !

jsowers

Quote from: electric al on November 25, 2015, 02:28:12 PM
  BAH HUMBUG !!!

On Christmas Eve night, Al will be visited by three ghosts. Let's see what happens. I hope the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come is as scary as that bony skeleton arm in a shroud they had on Mr. Magoo. Reddy Kilowatt is going to get the shock of his life.  ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Al!
Jonathan

electric al

I guess I am a little bitter about Christmas , because my birthday is Christmas Eve , and I never had a Birthday Party !!

:'(

I guess I will get over it eventually !  B T W , I will be 74 on dec 24 th .

;D
Never met a phone I didn't like !