News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Repainting Finger Wheels - WE 302 - Details Please

Started by winkydink, September 19, 2011, 01:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I know that repainting is a topic that has been discussed on the forum on a number of different threads.  I would like to get the information consolidated in one location if possible on the particular topic of

REPAINTING Western Electric 302 finger wheels.

I do not have specialized tools or a compressed air spray gun.  I am looking to do this with spray paint and baking.

I have a toaster oven for baking. 
I have Rustoleum gloss and semi gloss enamal spray paint
I have Rustoleum primer
I have sand paper
I can get if neccessary, paint remover.

Can someone go through their technique step by step regarding the restoration of a finger wheel.

Do I sand the finger wheel
Do I use paint remover
Do I prime
Do I use alchohol to clean
How many coats of primer (do I sand primer)
How many coats of paint (do I sand in between)
When do I bake in the process.  How long and at what tempature
Can I lay the finger wheel on aluminum foil in the toaster oven
do I paint only the "up" side or both sides

etc, etc

all techniques and information will be appreciated.

bigdaddylove

Personally, I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a just one finger wheel. I'd probably just look around for one or ask if anyone had one for sale via the Classified forum.

As I said, that;s just me -- I'm kind of lazy. ;D

JimH

I've had great success with rustoleum epoxy enamel appliance paint in black.  It dries like porcelain and very shiny.  Takes days to dry, but it's the best paint I've used yet.
Jim H.

winkydink

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 19, 2011, 05:59:52 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a just one finger wheel. I'd probably just look around for one or ask if anyone had one for sale via the Classified forum.

As I said, that;s just me -- I'm kind of lazy. ;D
biddaddylove,

If it were one phone and it was just for my collection, I would agree with you.  However, I am in the process of refurbushing 6 or 7 phones for Christmas gifts.  A couple of them have some scratches on the finger wheel.  Since the dial is highly visible, I want it to look as nice as possible, thus the question.

Thanks for all the responses.

bigdaddylove

cihensley@aol.com

winkydink:

I recommend a Preval sprayer over cans of spray paint. No matter how good you shake them, I have found spray cans have a propensity to spray little globs of paint which mars the finished product. With a Preval you can mix the paint to the consistency you want. If the paint you use says it can be thinned by paint thinner or mineral spirits, I would use naptha. Paint with naptha has a better flash point.

Chuck

winkydink

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on September 20, 2011, 01:50:13 PM
winkydink:

I recommend a Preval sprayer over cans of spray paint. No matter how good you shake them, I have found spray cans have a propensity to spray little globs of paint which mars the finished product. With a Preval you can mix the paint to the consistency you want. If the paint you use says it can be thinned by paint thinner or mineral spirits, I would use naptha. Paint with naptha has a better flash point.

Chuck

Chuck,

I have looked into the Preval sprayer and it looks quite nice, as well as inexpensive.

What kind of paint (e.g. xyz brand, gloss/semi gloss, enamal) would you suggest that I use.

I don't have alot of money to invest in this, but it seems like $10.00 for the setup is worth the risk.

My other question, would be cleanup.  What do I use to clean the reseviour, how do you dispose of the cleaning agent ?  Sorry for such basic questions but I am used to using water based paints.

Also, still waiting for some tried and true proceedures.  I will scour past posts and re-post to summarize others findings, but if you would like to contribute your success stories please do !

cihensley@aol.com

winkydink:

I use Rust-oleum gloss black, because I have used it many times and am use to how it applies. Any good enamel paint for metal should be as good, maybe even better, than Rust-oleum. Any enamel should clean-up with paint thinner.

Chuck