News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got to hang it on the wall..

Started by Stan the Man, June 12, 2017, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the Man

Finally hung it and hooked it up.. Could not come up with a better place so here is where it is for now.. Thought about hiding the controller in the wall but decided to just mount it under the phone.. If I decide to move it(likely), I will hide everything so it will not show..

Stan   

mentalstampede

Looks good! You may want to leave the controller visible; that way you can see the indicators to know what state it is in.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Dan/Panther

Is there any room inside the phone ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Stan the Man

No room to hide the control box inside the phone itself,.. not without hacking the coin box up.. Its not a big deal, just wanted it to look clean..

Stan

AL_as_needed

The phone looks good,especially next to the traffic light and the brick wall. A few more touches and you could have a little street scene going there  :D
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Stan the Man on June 15, 2017, 09:19:35 AM
No room to hide the control box inside the phone itself,.. not without hacking the coin box up.. Its not a big deal, just wanted it to look clean..

Stan
Maybe you want to get a large instruction card holder which mounts to the top of the upper housing with 4 screws and hide the controller behind that.

Stan S

Hey Stan
You can make a long cable between the controller and the payphone. Maybe put the controller and the power supply down low in back of the mount for the traffic light. Not that obvious but still visible.
Stan S (the other Stan).

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Stan S on June 15, 2017, 09:34:48 PM
Hey Stan
You can make a long cable between the controller and the payphone. Maybe put the controller and the power supply down low in back of the mount for the traffic light. Not that obvious but still visible.
Stan S (the other Stan).
Once you've done that you'll, ahem... "need" to put the traffic light under control of the telephone dial.  In some situations where direct key control was not possible operators dialed "C" to collect and "R" to return so you could use "R" and "G". ;D

Stan the Man

To me the controller isn't the eye sore.. Its the power cord and wall wart.. The traffic light has its own controller.. I was thinking I could give both controllers their own "switched" outlet on the other wall.. It would take a minute but not hard to do.. IDK, still kicking around ideas.. Its harder to pull the "cave" together than I thought..

Stan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Stan the Man on June 16, 2017, 09:12:17 AM
To me the controller isn't the eye sore.. Its the power cord and wall wart.. The traffic light has its own controller.. I was thinking I could give both controllers their own "switched" outlet on the other wall.. It would take a minute but not hard to do.. IDK, still kicking around ideas.. Its harder to pull the "cave" together than I thought..

Stan
If that's low voltage wiring running up to the controller, if it were pulled taught as it was being stapled with a T-18 stapler (which uses round top 3/16" wide staples), and then painted to match the paneling, it would be far less conspicuous.

Assuming the paneling is over wall board, snaking it in the wall behind two layers could be quite difficult, requiring a fairly large hole at least at the top.  However that could be behind the phone and covered by the phone after snaking is finished.

But how is the phone line getting to the phone?  You probably used at least a quad and could probably power the controller over spare leads. 

Even if you only have 4 leads, if the YL is used for the GRD lead it might still be possible to use the GRD as one side for the low voltage output from the wall wart and the BK lead for the other.  Stan Schreier would need to weigh in on whether you can tie one side of the low voltage input to the GRD lead.

Stan the Man

Well,.. I just have to figure out what I'ma do on that wall.. I really wanted a darker color paneling, but the price was right.. Yeah I could paint it but then it would look like painted paneling.. LOL.. I have an artificial ficus on another wall.. Maybe I can put another on that wall.. The wall just looks too bare..
  I am curious about something though,.. The volume in my headset doesn't seem loud enough.. I can hear on it,.. But it could be a little louder.. Is it my handset?? Is there something I can do to make it louder??

Stan

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Stan the Man on June 16, 2017, 01:21:22 PM
Well,.. I just have to figure out what I'ma do on that wall.. I really wanted a darker color paneling, but the price was right.. Yeah I could paint it but then it would look like painted paneling.. LOL.. I have an artificial ficus on another wall.. Maybe I can put another on that wall.. The wall just looks too bare..
  I am curious about something though,.. The volume in my headset doesn't seem loud enough.. I can hear on it,.. But it could be a little louder.. Is it my handset?? Is there something I can do to make it louder??

Stan
It would be difficult to determine the cause of low receive volume.  You should start by connecting an ordinary phone to the telephone side of the controller to make sure the volume is normal.

There are many reasons why volume could be low but a weak receiver unit is a common reason and easily checked by substitution of an identical receiver unit. 

Sometimes the receiver unit itself is good but it has a partially shorted click suppression varistor mounted on the back and replacing the varistor solves the problem.  But that would apply to an AE 81 or WE/NE/ITT/S-C G-type handset and your phone has a 41-type handset whose receiver unit does not include a varistor.

If it's not the receiver unit identifying the cause gets exponentially more difficult.

HarrySmith

For situations like you are having I keep a known good handset & cord. I hook it up temporarily to check. If volume is good I know it is not the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 16, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
For situations like you are having I keep a known good handset & cord. I hook it up temporarily to check. If volume is good I know it is not the phone.
Cords are usually good, open or shorted rather than a constant high resistance that does not fluctuate with movement and causes weak reception or transmission.  It's much easier to swap a receiver unit into the existing handset than swap the handset and cord. 

If no identical receiver unit is avail. almost any receiver unit can be connected with clip leads to compare levels.  There's usually less difference in sensitivity and impedance between various different receiver units than there is between a good receiver and one that's noticeably weak.