News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dennis Halliworth (dencins), base/footpad recovering (NO LONGER accepting work of any kind 10-27-18)

Started by Bill, September 13, 2011, 09:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

A quick thumbs-up to Dennis. I have used his services twice, and was completely pleased both times. His products and workmanship appear perfect, and his turnaround is near instant (Wow! It's back already??!!) And his prices are low enough that I wouldn't consider doing it myself.

Bill

Dennis Markham

winkydink

I also give my thumbs up.  Dennis did the pads for 6 phones at the same time and I swear he must have turned them around in about 24 hours, because round trip it took only 1 week !  :D

He was also extremely helpful with explaining his recovering technique and even gave me some samples of material.  I am not sure if I will attempt to do this myself, but I know I won't hesitate sending buisness Dennis' way !

GG

So I take it he does 302 and 500 feet, but does he also do D1 bases and desk stand bases?  I have a couple that could use to be redone. 

jludtxs

If you are handy, the work is easy and I picked up suede leather remnants on ebay super cheap. A uneven cut scrap that would do 4 or 5 202 bases for less than $10.

Sargeguy

QuoteIf you are handy, the work is easy and I picked up suede leather remnants on ebay super cheap. A uneven cut scrap that would do 4 or 5 202 bases for less than $10.

Yes, but do you have the correct thickness of the suede so that you don't have to trim or overlap the spring?  Are you able to cut perfectly round holes in the suede that line up with those in the baseplate? Dennis is.  I have re-sueded bases myself and it is a pain to get everything correct.  Dennis has mastered the art of re-sueding and his work is flawless every time.  He even makes the cork feet that stick to the base if you need those.  Here is an example:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jludtxs

That is very nice work. If I need help, I can see that Dennis is the man to contact.  I might just be the cheapest person on earth though and usually have to try to do something myself before going to a professional even if it costs me more in the end. I have arthritis so it was a little difficult to pull the suede tight and in place while securing the ring. I couldn't do 2 in a row, my fingers would not hold up. I had to ask questions to the sellers and they are great about answering quickly and directing me to the right pieces. They went through their scraps to find me a pink piece of suede too that wasn't listed. I am happy with the results. I only cut an X for the holes for now but when I make the feet I have a die set to cut good holes. 2 of my phones had just the shape of the feet cut and glued on to help protect the larger body of the bottom. I will recreate that before I'm done. I know it might really stress some collectors out but I bought 4 202's that I will restore 2 to original but I couldn't resist adding the brass bling parts from the later reproductions for one phone and I picked up a sad spray painted one that once I get all the paint off, I will paint black but I am going pink with the finger wheel and and pink suede bottom and pink cords. The spray painted finger wheel is heavy brass so I will polish that up and keep brass but I have a cheap thin dial plate I took off another phone that I will paint pink.  As bad as it looks now, the insides are pristine and has the 4H dial. I am looking forward to the project. Seeing how well others have done with their phones is great motivation to try to match their standards. I love seeing the pictures.  Something that really shocked me about the phones is that when I held the first handset, I thought the weight was going to be a problem but I was wrong. Holding newer lightweight phone handsets and cell phones, my hands go numb and I have to switch hands a lot but these old heavy handsets do not give me this problem. I get a little cramping in my palms but not bad and I have been on hour long calls without having to switch hands even once. I am guessing it must have to do with the balance but still a very happy lesson learned.

DiaLen

I'll add to the chorus here and sing praises to Dennis for the favor he does for all of us.
I just got my re-covered D1 base back and am very pleased with it. Mailed out on Saturday and it was in my mailbox in Ohio on Thursday. Great turn around and quality work.
Thank you Dennis!
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.