News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where oh where is my AE payphone dial???

Started by GTE Rick, November 01, 2016, 09:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTE Rick

I found a listing for this NOS AE payphone dial on Ebay and won the auction.

When I received the package the dial was just a generic non AE DIAL.  Mistakes happen, so I sent a message:

Me: I received my package yesterday, The dial i received was not the AE Payphone Dial as listed in the ad. Please advised how you like to handle this.

Sellers response: IT IS A A.E. PAYPHONE BUT SEND IT BACK I WILL REFUND AND PAY SHIPPING ONE WAY THANKS CLARE

Me  i will send it back, but i really want the one in the picture, i can send you a picture of what i got ... it is not the same.

Seller I SENT THE ONE IN THE PIC . SEND IT BACK

Me:The dial in the picture below is what I received, I would gladly keep it, and pay the same amount again to get THE AE Payphone dial that was pictured in the auction.

No Response

(ALL of her responses were in Upper case)

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

GTE Rick

Here is the Picture from the auction!

rdelius

I used to convert those AE single slot dials.Phoneco might have them

TelePlay

TelePlay

And that was a relisted dial, first ended on 10/12 at $19.95,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEPHONE-PARTS-A-E-PAYPHONE-DIAL-Vintage-Telephone-/152268233933

and put back up at $16. I do not see the dial you got on any of the sellers sold, completed or active listings. The seller lists mostly phones and phone parts so they should know what they are doing.

poplar1

It's just been relisted!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEPHONE-PARTS-A-E-PAYPHONE-DIAL-NOS-Vintage-Telephone/152300411799?

Sonny had a bunch of these from R&S. There are probably still some left in the warehouse.
EDIT: Below are two pictures of one of Sonny's dials, that were posted a while back.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8551.msg91940#msg91940
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on November 01, 2016, 11:08:00 PM
It's just been relisted!

Dave, please explain. How can a dial sold and in the buyer's hands be relisted with the same images? Seems like bait and switch for lack of a better term. If the seller is not selling what is pictured, how can they get away with doing that an not irritate buyers to the point of complaint?

Just asking . . .  :-\

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on November 01, 2016, 11:19:43 PM
Dave, please explain. How can a dial sold and in the buyer's hands be relisted with the same images? Seems like bait and switch for lack of a better term. If the seller is not selling what is pictured, how can they get away with doing that an not irritate buyers to the point of complaint?

Just asking . . .  :-\

The seller sent Rick a different dial and a different box. Notice that there is a number plate on the dial Rick received, and the finger stop is in the position used by ITT, WE, S-C and Northern.

Since she sent Rick the wrong dial, she still has the one Rick paid for, and that's the one she relisted, rather than send it to Rick. Notice the hand writing on the box for the relisted dial -- "A. E.    P. O. Dial"-- it's the same one listed before.

I also find it strange the seller would offer to pay Rick for shipping only one way. If the "item is not as described", the seller has to pay the return postage as well as refund the original postage and purchase price.

TelePlay

Yes, the two dials are no where near similar and yes, if the seller still has it, why not send it to Rick to make it a good sale rather than relist it? The seller lists mostly phone stuff so he would have to know he is in error here. If someone were to buy the relisted phone, it makes one wonder what they would get in the mail.

Lot of questions raised here.

poplar1

Seller wrote to Rick:  "I SENT THE ONE IN THE PIC . SEND IT BACK"

Yes, if you follow this seller's premise -- that she indeed sent Rick the one shown in the first two listings -- then how is is possible that she already has the same dial, same box, to list again, if Rick hasn't sent it back to her yet? 

GTE Rick

So what happens  if i send it back and she say's thats not what i sent you? 

How would you proceed?

poplar1

Maybe you can try to convince her that "an object cannot be in two different places at the same time." The box with the handwriting and 4-digit inventory sticker cannot be in your possession if she has the same box listed on eBay.

If she agrees, then she should pay for shipping the wrong item back to her,as well as the new shipping.

If she won't agree, I would file an "item not as described" report with eBay, in which case you should get a full refund and a label to return it. Don't send it back before filing the report.

I was confused by your email that sounded like you wanted to keep the wrong dial as well as purchase (again) the one you originally ordered.

poplar1

On second thought, perhaps you should file an "item not as described" report regardless. She apparently has a screw loose. You just have to be more willing to find another dial, rather than to risk sending the ITT? dial back and not getting either a refund or the right dial (if you return it without filing  a report).

TelePlay

Or, tell the seller you will keep the wrong dial until you receive the purchased dial and then send the wrong dial back. The seller's leverage on that would be to file an eBay complaint against you if you don't keep your part of the deal. That would keep the door open to filing an eBay "not as described" report AND also have documentation that you tried to work with her on resolving the problem.

Seller's error means the seller has to be in the trusting position to resolve the problem. The seller by the error looses trust.

GTE Rick

Quote from: poplar1 on November 02, 2016, 11:07:57 AM
On second thought, perhaps you should file an "item not as described" report regardless. She apparently has a screw loose. You just have to be more willing to find another dial, rather than to risk sending the ITT? dial back and not getting either a refund or the right dial (if you return it without filing  a report).

I have decided this is the way to go...